After treamtment and diagnosis

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with a pituitary tumor. I have been put on cabergoline and bromocriptine. Currently I am taking bromocriptine, and it has significantly dropped my prolactin levels. I'm finally feeling better then I have felt since I've been diagnosed.

Unfortunately it messed up alot of things with my body , especially my period. I haven't had a period in over 5 years before I was diagnosed. They tried putting me on birth control , and it didn't work. Next they had me take progesterone and I got my period once and then never again, so they switched me back to birth control. After taking the birth control , I had spotting for about 3-4 days, and never got my period again, and it's almost been 3 years since I was treated. So all together haven't had a period in almost 8 years. All my doctors seem to just keep tossing me around to my gyno, to my endocrinologist, then back to my primary Dr. for answers , but no one can give me a reason as to why I haven't constantly had my period back . Keep in mind I am 25 right now , so I'm pretty young and feel like this should be of concern , but I don't feel like any of my Dr feel as it is.

Please help any suggestions , or if you're going through something similar , and aren't getting results either , just anything will help.

Thank you ,

Lina

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lina

firstly, it's great to hear that the medications are at least making you feel better.

the pituitary is so complex that sometimes it can take quite a while to sort out how to resolve some problems. i wonder if the tumour has affected part of the pituitary gland and if that is causing your periods to stop.

this is question maybe for your endocrinologist, to check your pituitary profile and to check that your body is still making the necessary hormones and pre-hormones. what type of tumour is it? is it a prolactinoma? if your prolactin levels are still high is that tricking your body into thinking that you are pregnant? i don't know - please check with your doctor.

you might also find some useful information on the website of the pituitary foundation, or the pituitary network foundation. if you google them then you'll be able to find their websites. 

good luck and i hope that things work out

• Posted

hi Lina,

well I would be guessing but it sounds like your

pituitary tumor is still there

maybe you didnt want the surgery

It sounds like you may have a prolactinoma

and they are managing it with medications

you can do your own research and see if

you'd think surgery might be something you'd want to do

medications and sometimes surgery can maybe help you

• Posted

I might also check to see you dont have any fibroid tumors, etc
  • Posted

Although an operation on your pituitary to excise a tumour is not the big deal it once was, it is not trivial either as it is right up against your brain (although outside it). Pituitary tumours are almost always benign, so there has to be a very good reason to the op - such asĀ  a macroadenoma that threatens your optical nerves. Treatment by medication is preferable (and would continue after an op in any case).

You might want to ask about getting a second opinion from another endo.

• Posted

hi Lina

this sounds somewhat familiar to me

where you go to your doctor and they

send you to an endo, etc...

Since pituitary tumors are classified as rare

some doctors tend to ignore them

more than others.

If you have a question, I'd be happy to see if

I know something but I think certain medical tests

can be quite helpful

First you have to figure out if you have a tumor

in your adrenals or pituitary and sometimes

hypothalamus

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.