Aftercare after Ankle Operation

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All today I received an hospital appointment letter to see my consultant in 4 weeks time which I was happy to receive but then with the letter I received another letter telling me not to attend the appointment due to the coronavirus outbreak and that if they could get through to me they would do a telephone consultation. I am upset about this because I have tried today to contact my gp and they are not accepting calls but I need to email them. I have had no details of when a community nurse will visit me to change the dressing on the wound as it is nearly 2 weeks since my discharge. I also need more Painkillers because I have nearly run out and a fit note for my work. To say I am worried sick is an understatement. I just feel so overwhelmed by it all. Not sure honestly what to do. I have emailed my gp but feel helpless and don't want my dressing change delayed in case I get an infection. 😒

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hello l understand your fear. during your appointment they will walk you through your dressing change. i had mine on for 4 weeks i believe but i could have taken it off myself. just ask them what your options are. also do not get it wet. you will be perfectly fine my love. stay home and stay safe. you got this ο’œο’œο’œ and also for your pain meds they can prescribe a refill and the pharmacy is offering free delivery at this moment so you will be good to go love . just make sure you share all of tour concerns during tour appointment..

• Posted

Im curious what country you're in? Stitches should come out in 2 weeks. This also gives the dr a chance to evaluate the surgery site. Leaving the dressing on should not introduce infection, that would have to be there already. I went 17 days with stitches in and was fine.

Have you called them on the phone?

• Posted

Hi Thank you for your reply. I am in the UK. In my hospital discharge notes it says a community nurse will come and change the dressing in two weeks and in 6 weeks I will see the consultant. I think that if you have a dirty dressing which is 2 weeks old and is under a boot and hot and not much air it could cause an infection. I have dissolvable stitches so I am not worried about them but worried about the dressing and the consultant not being able to Check the leg or have an xray to check it's healing correctly. This is the first time I have ever fractured anything so I may be worrying too much but I would rather be over cautious as I want to be able to walk at the end of all of this and I have tried to call my gp but they aren't answering calls unless it's an emergency. πŸ™

• Posted

I broke my ankle in 2 places..perhaps you can remove the boot ..To let it air..As long as your ankle is stabilzed you will be fine..mine had pins and plates...As long as you take off the boot and do not move your ankle around you should be fine.

• Posted

Hello Julie, I'm so sorry you are going through this. Can you try and reach out to anyone like the hospital you had the surgery in? What I used to do is call the hospital I was in and asked the nurses questions and they used to help me. I was thinking maybe buying some anti bacteria soap and with warm water clean the area and just change the dressing yourself. If you have someone to go out for you get some gauze from the pharmacist and used that if not use some paper towels and hold it up with tape I think that might help I'm not for sure, but please don't worry yourself just keep healing everything will be fine and I'm sorry you have to go through this❀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.