Aftercare for Pneumothorax aspiration

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi there need some advice my 23 yr old went to A&E sunday evening  with pain in back and painful breathing turns out she had a collasped right lung they used the needle technique and done xray after and it was successful we left at 4am after being there about 8 hours she was told not to ever dive and not to fly until she goes to a pleural appointment on the 17th we were so tired we diditn think if she should be back at work  straight away or able to drive? she is still feeling slightly bruised but she has not needed painkillers just wondering if anyone knew what the advice is tried ring the unit sec but not reply as yet thanks so much

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Never had the Needle aspiration only chest tubes, but take it from personal experience have her take it easy awhile if the collapse was enough to warrant ER intervention she needs to be avoiding any type of manual labor , laundry  ect picking up heavier items. 

I pushed too soon too quick and had 3 hospitalizations for a Right collapsed lung inside 12 months.  is this her first ?

I am assuming this was a spontaneous pneumothorax

if a 2nd happens be sure they do a CT scan of the chest to look for blebs at least then you would have an idea for a cause. 

best of luck and fair warning surgical interventions like a pleurodesis , bullectomy (bleb removal) the after surgery recovery is a PITA.

• Posted

hi there XDKTC thanks for replying yes  your right iit was spontanous one, they put needle in and pumped the air in and out  with a syrange that has  a conncetor she twisted the taps on the conncetor which connected to tube at end of tube was large contairer with water in it, it took about 10 min then they done another image which showed it was back to normal again  after half an hour we were discharged ,its just they didnt say if it was ok to drive or not ?or if she should be ok to work office job so no lifting really there  but just to come back in 2 weeks  was so tired didnt think of asking sad will pass on your advice to her thanks so much for your help :0
  • Posted

Having been through all of this and much more, I would definitely take it very easy for a few days to a week.  Need to give it time to heal.  Coughing and sneezing can cause reinjury very easily. 
    • Posted

hi there sorry to hear that hope your better now, yeah she has been pretty good not lifting and resting, have you had it more than once? we go to the plural clinic on mondayso hopefully will find out more smile thanks for replying and for your advice best wishes
    • Posted

30+ years ago each of my lungs collapsed 2 or 3 times and the did the surgery to both lungs. Mine was due to blebs.  I do hope your girl won't hav any more problems. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.