Age 24, high blood pressure

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello everyone,

So for around the past year, I've been having high blood pressure readings.

It was picked up on a routine check at first, and was 140/90. I was told this was a bit high but nothing to worry about.

On another appointment it was 145/95.

I was then sent on further appointments, and my readings have varied from 140-168/90-100.

Today it was 150/98!

To add some context, I am 24 years old. I smoke socially. I do not take drugs. I exercise a few times a week. I do drink a few times a week (I love red wine).

All of my blood tests and ECG tests are normal.

I am being checked for hyperaldestronism to see if this is possibly the cause.

The only other thing that might explain the readings is that I have slight sleep apnea (very mild).

I am slightly concerned to be getting these readings at my age and it seems doctors are reluctant to put me on medication at the moment.

My questions are, what would usually be the cause of high BP in such a young person, do I need to be on medication and how dangerous are these readings?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

i don't know about readings but certainly know about taking drugs. they certainly give you problems , more than high blood pressure. These reading may have been normal a few years ago , now you have to take the drugs to lower your blood pressure and endure other problems, sometimes a lot . going through with the drugs company at the moment , with all the problems i have had over the past three years. taken my self off everything , feeling loads better

• Posted

You may have essential hypertension which has no known cause-that type of hypertension is the most common. Your physician may suggest some lifestyle changes but you may also need medication .I've had hypertension since about your age and taking medication just becomes a routine with no side affects in my case.Good luck!

• Posted

I have had high blood pressure since my 30s now aged 56. I have had higher readings than yours but yes it is high. I am not saying dangerously so. I am not qualified to comment on that. But the ideal is something more like 140 over 80.

If, in the end, you have to take medication I say do it and keep it under control. I use two meds Losartan and Indapamide. Losartan in particular is known fir having very few side effects. It has been great with me. Indapamide is a bit more problematic because it is a diuretic. It can deplete potassium and some other nutrients like zinc so I supplement. Some meds do have side effects. But in the end you would have to make a decision. Long term raised blood pressure is nit a good thing and you have to weigh up what you think is in your best interests. Good luck.

• Posted

Good advice re the diuretic Margaret- it can also raise blood sugar so Ro if you do get prescribed these meds, please make sure you have your glucose levels checked regularly. My hubby's BP kept rising, even though he has a generally healthy lifestyle and that hasnt changed. They increased his BP meds and diuretic and gradually his blood sugar got higher and higher, now he's considered diabetic and has to take meds for that too. He is much older than you so age also is a factor in his case.

• Posted

Margaret,

BP at 140 / 90 is still high. Ideally it needs to sit nearer to 120 / 80. In a perfect world just below these numbers! Granted hard to achieve for some.

Paul

• Posted

The questions you've asked should be addressed to your doctor, not well meaning strangers on the Internet.

As a start cut out the smoking, if it's only "social" there should be no problem and it's the single most important step from the list you've given that you can take towards protecting your health.

How active are you? You say you exercise a few times a week but at what level? Do you actually exercise or do you go to the Gym and sit in the jacuzzi and sauna or do you put in 70 miles a week , or somewhere between the two?

How much sleep are you getting? Poor sleep patterns really mess you up, do you get quality sleep for at least 6 - 8 hours most nights or are you up until late and out early? Remember, time in front of a screen before sleep will interfere with both your ability to sleep and the quality of your sleep.

How much red wine do you enjoy? Is it within the NHS Guidelines or do you have to be fairly liberal in your interpretation of the number of units per glass? remember a medium sized glass of wine is 2.4 units so one a day and you're over the 14 unit recommendation.How's your diet? Mainly freshly prepared, with lots of fruit & vegetables or is a lot of it takeaways and processed foods?

You don't need to respond to these questions on here, your lifestyle is not a spectator sport, but you should have a think about them and be honest with yourself. Are the 1 - 2 cigs a day at weekends and a couple during the week actually one every break at work and half a pack a day over the weekend? Is the social red wine half a bottle a day? Do you eat McDonalds / KFC/Takeaways/Readymeals more than once or twice a week?

• Posted

Checking for PA (Primary Aldosteronism) should be manadatory especially for anyone with resistant hypertensionn and young people. I was 24 also when my hypertension at College was 245 / 125 and after a series of tests over 8 weeks in hospital I was diagnosed with PA (Conn's Syndrome). There are of course other reasons why your BP is high but what you must not accept at your age is being treated by a roundabout of different BP medications until they find the one that works for you. I was suggest you continue asking for sensible investigations to find if there is an underlying cause. Good luck.

Paul

• Posted

Hello,

Thank you for your response. This appears to be the last thing that doctors need to rule out, unless it is my mild sleep apnea causing it.

If you dont mind me asking, did you have any other symptoms other than high BP?

In terms of treatment, did you opt for the hormone tablets or surgery?

Many thanks

• Posted

I had no symptoms which makes it quite scary really. The routine medical nurse at college who checked my BP effectively saved my life. My only interest at the time was to get back in the college bar for a couple of pints!

I opted for a sub-total adrenalectomy. With bilateral hyperplasia today, surgery would not be done (i.e. there was no lump on my glands producing the excess aldosterone - it was just coming from screwed up glands). Classic treatment is with Spironalactone and more recently worth a shout is Amiloride, both potassium sparing drugs. In the UK it is hard to find a Consultant who can deal effectively with this condition. I rely on help from the USA.

Paul

• Posted

I think one should remember that primary hypertension of no known cause affects 90% of hypertensives.Only one in ten have secondary hypertension with a recognisable cause.The UK does recognise this group but it is the small minority.

• Posted

I was 19 when I was put on high blood pressure pills. I do not smoke but my eating habits and genetics were most likely the cause. It depends on what you're smoking because that may be the cause of it. I know cigarettes can definitely cause MANY health issues including high blood pressure. You having sleep apnea doesn't help either as healthy sleeping patterns are just as important as eating healthy foods in order to sustain a healthy blood pressure. Not too sure if drinking alcohol is an okay thing for blood pressure either. There does seem to be some lifestyle changes that may need to occur but I would definitely invest in a blood pressure monitor as most people get this thing called "white coat hypertension" which is when your blood pressure is taken at the doctors office and it is significantly higher due to anxiousness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.