Age 24- Severe high BP on medication. help!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello,

I've had high BP for around a year.

My numbers were around 140-160/90-100.

I started 5mg amlopidine 1 week ago.

On Friday I got my BP checked and it was 130/77 so I was happy and thought the medication was working.

Today I went to a pharmacy and got the following readings:

183/102

193/108

165/132

after a while we got it down to 160/100.

im soooo confused as to why my bp has turned from OK on Friday to malignant today!

The pharmacist thinks it might of been stress and that the 165/132 may of been a glitch.

But this is still very concerning.

I confess that I did have a heavy weekend for 2 nights in a row and was tired today (could this be behind it).

Ive passed on the numbers to my GP but I feel so stressed (not helping i know) and cant believe im getting these readings when im on medication.

An investigation has already been ran on me and no cause could be found.

šŸ˜• any words of advice or encouragement would be appreciated

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you for your responses.

I know my readings are very high and telling me how high it is over an online forum isnt helping me.

I am aware I am way above the normal ranges.

And Jx4, I dont quite understand why you would trust an computerised machine over the old fashioned way of properly getting your blood pressure checked.

But that's just my opinion.

If anyone here has genuine advice then great but just to tell me my blood pressure is too high, then its nothing I don't know

• Posted

RO, I trust the machine because what is being measured is an objective physical signal, and machines are always (much) better at measuring such.

Plus I have my own experiences. It turns out my body has a weird signal system of its own - when my BP is higher, I get more arrhythmias. And generally, when I get a high reading at home and am having these problems and go into a doctor's office, the readings I get there, by machine or bulb, are in line. The only ones that are OUT of line are taken by bulb, the old, old, old fashioned way. Plus my cousin the nurse says, trust the nurse, not the doctor, when they take your BP - the nurse does it 10x more often. And this too I have observed in practice, LOL.

I really hope that technology will eventually give us much better readers, probably doppler ultrasounds and no more invasive than typical ultrasounds, maybe less so because you would want to avoid all compressions to remove that variable, so it might best be done like Doctor McCoy's medical tricorder on Star Trek.

Machines pretty much find what they find, humans have a huge tendency to find what they want.

• Posted

Taking BP with a Sphyg is far more accurate providing the person who is taking the reading has been trained and knows what to listen for. My doc in the USA goes round hospitals training folk in the use of a Sphyg and then compares results with automatic devices often pointing out the need for them to be regularly calibrated.

Paul

• Posted

I'm sorry that you're possibly having stressful time. I would suggest taking matters into your own hands and try to live as stress free as possible. Try taking up some hobbies. If stress makes you eat more, then try eating something good but healthy like unsalted nuts, fruits, etc. they are not only tasty but can lower your blood pressure just look up "blood pressure lowering foods" or something similar to that on Google. Also, take up a safe cardio exercise routine. I try to exercise 3 times a week and eat a salad with every meal I eat. I also drink water (with lemon if I have some) every single day. Water flushes out sodium and lemon is extremely good for a number of things.

Now to the medication advice lol I was prescribed Amlodipine a few months ago but switched because it gave me palpitations and chest pains and so did Lisinopril, but I heard Lisinopril works pretty well on a lot of people. I am now taking Bystolic and they seem to be working pretty well, but they are pretty expensive. I would like to note that some people are prescribed higher dosage or multiple different pills to help control their blood pressure. I'm young (19 when I was prescribed this stuff, but I'm 20 now) and fairly skinny 5'7 125lbs so that may contribute to the reason why I do not need a high dosage.

In conclusion, try to be as stress free as possible, stress, depression, etc. contributes greatly to blood pressure and it could be fatal if prolonged. Eat as right as you can and try to excerise whenever you can. Try not to look at it as a priority, but as a way to living joyful. P.S. yoga also helps regulate blood pressure and certain sleeping positions as well. xo šŸ˜ƒ

• Posted

I understand how you feel. I'm 24 and have had a history of high BP since 18. It seemed to level out on its own but has recently crept up.

I went into a&e one morning because I had chest discomfort and palpitations and when they took my blood pressure it was 188/110. It stayed pretty high for quite a while between 150/85 to 170/100. On medication now and has brought it down to safe levels. I have had tests done to find secondary causes but everything came back normal so looks like i'm stuck on medication.

• Posted

Sean, you might try checking your diet for high tyramine foods, and do you happen to take turmeric or eat a lot of Indian food that contains a lot of turmeric? Search for "cheese effect" to see why, I know this is something that caused me BP problems for a long time before I figured it out.

I also have my annual high BP days right around the winter solstice, and sure enough, I've been having that the last couple of weeks. Doing what I can to keep it under control but my regular meds don't get it done. Hope it clears within the next few days.

• Posted

Do not get all freaked out about your high readings. Blood Pressure is a danger if high over a long period of time. The worry and paranoia about blood pressure can sometimes do more damage than the blood pressure itself.

Just relax, a high blood pressure reading at times is not going to kill you. You need to find out how to control it and you will be fine, you will control it!

I had uncontrolled blood pressure much higher than any of your readings and now i have control. My readings were as high as 238/134 and now they are in the 115/75 range!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.