Age 24- Side effects from BP medication

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I am 24 years old and suffer with essential hypertension (am otherwise fairly healthy).

I am taking 5mg a day of Amlopidine.

I have noticed the following affects:

• I seem to feel calmer
  • Chest feels looser
  • Slight dizziness
  • Sex drive has increased

Is my lessened anxiety and increased sex drive possibly due to lowered blood pressure or is this placebo?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

WOW those side effects seem pretty easy to handle... the dizziness usually comes with most BP MEDS HAVE YOU GOT A NEW PARTNER!! i am surprised with the increased sex drive but if it has increased and you are having more that could account for the extra calmness relaxedness ! THE IMPORTANT THING IS, is IT LOWERING YOUR BP. Many people find AMLOPODINE a good med but it can have some not so good side effects .

• Posted

Since you're on a low/standard dose of amlodipine I'm going to assume your BP was a little high but not that high. So in general, it's a little surprising you feel any differences at all.

Amlodipine has more side effects than some other BP meds, but many people take it with no side effects, and those who have side-effects reports a wide, wide range of them - but mostly negative. Yours sound mostly like getting returned to normal after the high BP was actually making you feel a little bit badly. So good news, overall.

How long have you been on the amlodipine? It takes a few weeks to build up to full effect. And if you stop it takes a few weeks to completely clear out, too.

• Posted

Most blood pressure medications make you feel dizzy and calm so that's a pretty normal feeling. If only heard of them lowering sex drive, never raising it so that's new information lol. Not too sure what you mean by your chest feeling loose though but I hope that means it feels better. All in all it is good that Amlodipine is helping you because it sure didn't help me lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.