age 51 female - hip and shoulder osteoarthritis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello -I am a 51 I am week 8 following lhr. I have had pain in my right shoulder for a couple of months now - had a recent xray and received the news today from the gp that I have now developed osteoarthritis in my right shoulder.....my hip replacement was fine until I developed sciatica (approximately 3 weeks ago) - swimming was recommended to help with the sciatica but my shoulder is so painful, i dont know if i could actually swim. Can anyone recommend any good exercises for the shoulder and has swimming helped you at all?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane. Firstly - sorry to hear you've developed OA in several places - me too and it annoys me no end. Swimming is EXCELLENT exercise for those of us with arthritis. I have arthritis in my neck, along with previous other locations and although you have to be careful not to overdo it, gentle swimming is good. It may cause discomfort at first but it really helps bring down the inflammation after a while. Unfortunately I now have a rotator cuff tear and a ruptured bicep tendon and I cant swim at present - which is very annoying as lack of movement is having a negative effect on my spinal arthritis. Have a look on the Arthritis UK website - there's lots of good ideas for exercise etc. Also research foodstuffs which are known to have anti inflammatory benefits (fresh ginger is brilliant for example) which will help with flare ups. keep the shoulder warm - cold and damp weather definitely doesnt help, even if doctors (like mine!) poo poo the weather having anything to do with pain levels.

• Posted

There is now scientific proof that weather plays apart in arthritis pain. If you wanted to argue this point with your doctor I'm sure you could Google it. Apparently wet, cold weather which causes inflammation which causes pain.

• Posted

thanks Loxie, i will certainly try some gentle swimming in the hope that it helps. sorry to hear that you are not able to swim at the moment, especially if this has been beneficial for you. I will have a look at the arthritis website thanks.... i definitely think that i need to move to live somewhere warm xxxx

• Posted

oh yes jane, if only. I have friends who moved overseas to warmer climates and their mobility has improved off the scale. Now we're leaving the EEC, my dreams of retiring to southern spain have gone down the drain 😦

• Posted

Hi Jane I to have had a similar arthritis progression as yourself .I had a Right THR two and a half years ago and within a few weeks following surgery I developed problems with my right shoulder which Xray confirmed a complete rupture of my rotator cuff and I had a reverse shoulder replacement a year ago .At my yearly review for my new hip I mentioned that my left hip was beginning to give me problems and an xray showed medium severe OA and I will proberbly need a THR within the next twelve months .

This sudden development of OA was a shock but I am determined to manage my symptoms with regular excercise ,diet and supplements, I also go to a chiropractioner every few weeks who practices a gentle form of treatment and he has helped me enormously to get my pelvis and spine in allignment which has straightened my posture and reduced sciatica symtoms and made walking much easier He also treats my shoulder and the consultant was very impressed with the strength that I have in my new shoulder .I am now pain free with my right hip and shoulder but have quite a lot of discomfort with my left hip which I am working on

For me swimming was not an option as I cant swim but I now go to pilates twice a week which is great as the teacher knows my problem areas and modifies some of the stretches etc .I was given various excercises before and after my shoulder and hip replacements which have been very helpful.

So although I cant answer your question regarding swimming, If you can get a recommended Physio,osteopath or chiropractitioner to assess you and give you specific excercises and management advise you will improve your quality of life Im sure

Wishing you all the best Flic

y

• Posted

thanks Flic, thats really helpful - can i ask what supplements you take? I have an appointment with the physion on Thursday so will ask about excercises ...its just such a shock when it comes on so quickly!! 18 months ago, i never had a single pain and now i feel like i am falling to bits lol. i will also look into pilates - its so encouraging that your symptoms have improved. Jane xx

• Posted

Dont know if youre a coffee drinker but if not, try it. Caffeine from coffee is a very effective anti inflammatory (it has a host of other benefits too, particularly for parkinsons and diabetes etc). I've always drank heaps of coffee and I asked the rheumatologist if it could be a problem and she was quite adamant the opposite was true and told me to keep drinking it as it has clinical evidence of helping. Happy continued coffee drinker here 😃

• Posted

Hi Jane ,I take tumeric ,co enzyme q 10 and magnesium ,ask your doctors advise as they may not be suitable if you are on other medicine .I take these to help with fatigue which chronic pain can cause and to improve the immune system,

Take care

• Posted

I suspect I've been developing shoulder arthritis to go along with most of the rest of my body. I find a gentle continuous motion, like you get from tai chi, helps. It's important to keep affected joints, including shoulders, moving. So even if for now you only do some gentle stretches - and, yes, try the swimming if recommended - even that will help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.