Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi

I have had both my hips replaced and been a member of the hip forum for about a year and l know there are all age groups on the forum going from 17 to 80 it it the same here l have just turned 43 is there other people younger or like me on this forum to? Is it as common to have knee replacements young to.

Not tgat age matters to me one bit but. Just curious.

Laura x

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I only recall one and that was due to injury. Most Dr's won't do them that young. The older prosthesis were given 10-15 year life before needing a revision. Many are now reporting close to 20 if they aren't leading a life style that's abusive to the joint.there are so many different things with new technology and techniques I'm not sure if anyone knows where it's going to be in the next 15 years. My 1st one lasted 8 years and the bone was eaten up by the tumor that started all the problem. The 2nd one lasted a year and a half and had to be removed and discarded due to staph.( I joking asked if they sent those to 3rd world countries so they could be recycled. I got sort of a blank look. Surgeons arent known for their sense of humor). I certainly hope this one has a long life. I'm 79 and started this rough journey at age 65. Now 11 surgeries and 5 rehabs later I'm not shooting for the even dozen club.

I guess the thing you have to look at openly and honestly, what are the options for now and the future. I don't think any of us that haven't fit into the text book surgery/recovery knew what some of the pitfalls were but probably would have gone ahead anyway even had we known.

• Posted

Hi Laura

I am 49 and had a partial knee replacement 7 weeks ago. My surgeon told me I have a 33% risk of needing a replacement of the replacement in my lifetime. He confirmed that a second replacement can be done in the future, however it would be a more complicated operation.

As osteoarthritis was severely affecting my ability to live a normal life now and even in another 5 years I would have still been at risk of having to have a second replacement I went ahead with the op.

• Posted

Hi Lors, I had my tkr 14 weeks ago and was 49. My consultant was quite reluctant to do it due to age but I fought for it (or rather my husband did) due to my very poor quality of life pain, lack of what i could do and all meds I was on doing damage to other organs. Yes I might need it redone in years but totally best decision ever, still recovering but so good not having grinding bone on bone. Other one will need done and I have said to consultant not letting it get to state of first one. Best wishes x
  • Posted

Through local Arthritis Care group swim sessions I have met two young women who had hip replacements...I do think age makes a difference, I had my first replacement surgery when I was 56 my energy and healing processes are definitely different now at 65 smile but the principles are the same, be kind to yourself, massage the area, try not to overdo things on good days (this is the hardest) and don't compare your progress with others.

• Posted

Hi im 49 and 17 wks post op of tkr. I decided it was about quality of life now not quantity. None of us know about our futures and it depends how much pain you are in. I have had bad artharitas for 9 yrs and when i eventually went to see surgeon he said i should of gone sooner and asked me why i hadnt. I said due to my age and how long they last! I just couldnt stand the lack of mobility and pain anymore! It is a personal decision only you can make! Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi,

I'm now 37 and had mine at 36 following an injury years ago (I used to come on this site a lot so I may be the person Oldfatguy1 refers too). My actual prosthesis is fine but I am having a revision done in 9 days. As my knee was left so long to worsen (due to my age no one would touch it) my entire leg suffered, my ligaments no longer work so my leg doesn't bend or straighten well. I'm having a long stem hinged implant and all my ligaments removing.

I wish I hadn't let myself be fobbed off for so long and fought to have it replaced sooner. This is the time of my life I need less pain and more mobility. I know that I will face further issues in years to come but hopefully medical advancements will continue.

I would advise anyone to have it done if you reach a point when the pain and restrictions are too much to cope with. It can be more difficult to recover because the muscles and ligaments are thicker/stronger so get damaged more but it's worth it.

X

• Posted

Hi Laura

i had TKR a year ago aged 49 after suffering Osteo arthritis for 10 or so years.  I did everything in between - 2 arthroscopies, acupuncture, hydrotherapy, cortisone, drugs ...... in the end, in the surgeons words it was "bloody knackered" and he replaced it.  

So so glad now that I had TKR, got my life back, though it's a rough ride to get here and it's still far from perfect but so much better than it was.  it certainly helped me to get through it with the help and support from everyone on this forum.  Problem now is the other one is on the way out .....

Best wishes

Susan

• Posted

Thank you its good to know that l am not the only one l have just turned 43 and had both hips replaced in the past 6 months.just about recovered from them both and now l have to do it all again with my knee's just now it feels never ending aznd am sick of being in pain. I just want my normal life back l have actually forgot what that is now

Xx

• Posted

In this time next year you'll have your life back and be pleased to be out of pain.  Very best wishes on your tough journey x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.