AGE 74 FEMALE - FIRST DIAGNOSIS OF HIGH BP TWO WEEKS AGO

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am a retired 74 year old female in good physical health.  I am 5'4 135 pounds.  I walk 5.5 miles most days and except for occasional issues from GERD, have not had to take any medicines.   My BP has been consistently low/normal my entire life.  I have always impressed the doctors with my consistent low/normal BP.  It is usually between 110/70; 117/70;  110/60 and some days 123/80.

Two weeks ago at a visit to my doctors office my BP was 159/79.   I couldn't believe it.  They took it again and it was 147/79  They took it the third time and it was 157/82.  I left the office depressed.  I had to go back to the doctor this past Monday (3-12-18) and I was trying to be calm and not worry but my BP was 165/91.   I just got very depressed.  My doctor is baffled because while he's a new doctor, on all of my visits over the last year my BP has been normal, as it has been all my life.   

He suggested I get a monitor and monitor my BP for a week and bring it in so they can compare and see how it goes.  If not, he says I have to take BP medicine.  I have cut way way back on my salt intake.  I admit I never worried about sodium because I had such low BP and I liked the taste.  The week after my first reading I cut way back on salt, and reading labels more carefully for sodium.  I cut back to one diet pepsi every three days and while I do have two cups of coffee in the morning, thats it for me and I have always had 2 cops of coffee.  I eat mostly chicken or fish.  I cook fresh vegetables for dinner every night and brown rice or lentils.  I thought I was doing well.

I was just wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom for me.  Thank you.

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I really wouldn't worry to much, having an elevated BP isn't really a disease or illness, treatment is designed to reduce the risk of illness. The risk is directly related to how long you have high blood pressure and the level. It doesn't sound as if this has been a long term issue and there doesn't seem anything to terrible in your lifestyle. Your update suggests it might not really be much of an issue at all.

• Posted

Thank you Laroxe.  I think you’re right.  I purchased s BP Cuff monitor and for the past 5 days at all different times of the day my BP has been very steady.  No high readings.   I feel much better now.  Seeing the doctor today with the monitor and readings do he can see.  Thank you for your response.  What a great place this forum is for information and support
  • Posted

Hello Empi!

?Great to hear from you and So Glad You're doing so Well!

?I apologize if this response is so "Out of Sequence".  I just discovered all my notifications from this Forum have been going to my "SPAM" Folder!  Don't know why except maybe because Windows did an Auto Update a Week or so ago and now my PC is freezing frequently.

?Anyhow, that's wonderful your BP is in such a Great Territory.  And sounds like you're more relaxed than the very first time you Posted.  

?Yes, the Mrs. is speaking to me again!  This is NOT New Territory!  LOL!  One of my "Stand Up Lines" is about Wives Removing their Rings when they're upset with their Husbands.  (Don't think I'm the only one who experiences this!)

?"Uhh, Everything Ok, Hon?   Yeah.  Are you upset with me for something?  Should I be?  Not that I know of.  Well, if you DON'T KNOW, Why Are You Asking?  Uhh, I noticed You don't have your rings on.  CAN'T I TAKE MY RINGS OFF TO WASH MY HANDS WITHOUT YOUR GRILLING ME?!  Well, You just always told me a woman shouldn't remove her rings to wash her hands as she might forget them.  THAT'S WHEN I'M OUT SOMEWHERE!  I'M NOT GOING TO LOSE THEM HERE IN THE KITCHEN!  Well, I just sorta noticing you're raising your voice towards me.  WELL, IF YOU'LL QUIT BADGERING ME, MAYBE I WON'T NEED TO RAISE MY VOICE!  Uhh, Ok, I'm think I'll go work on a Few new songs.  SEEMS LIKE THAT'S ALL YOU DO AROUND HERE!  EVER THINK ABOUT HELPING WITH A FEW CHORES?  Actually, "No".  (Oh, Crap! Wrong Answer!)

It actually goes on longer but I'll stop here.  She actually Cracks Me up with Her "Back and Forth"!

(5 Wonderful Years  - 50 Altogether!)

Please stay in touch and have a Wonderful Easter!

Ernie

• Posted

Hi Ernie.  Somehow your reply got lost in the jumble but I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you.  All is well here and BP is remaining stable.   I am no longer concerned but glad I have the monitor to keep tabs.  I hope all is well with you and the Mrs.   It has been a delight communicating with you.   You were such a big help to me.  The only bad thing about this forum is learning about all the young people who have such high BP and health issues.  I try not to worry about everybody but it is sad.  I am just not qualified to render any good information to these folks.   Thank you again for your help.   I wish you and yours the very best that life has to offer

• Posted

Thank you for note empi.  I mentioned I was sure it was out of sequence as several Posts went to my Spam Folder for some reason.  I've enjoyed chatting with you.  Best to you and yours!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.