Age 79. GREEN LIGHT 15 YEARS ago. Need something soon. What?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Good health, but gradually increasing need to urinate and urine retention is on the high side.  I will need something done in the not too distant future and would like to plan ahead. When it becomes necessary, should I do another Greenlight Lazer, TURP, or......?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Richard,

How happy were you till recently with your Green Light? If it did what you wanted, then it's a very reasonable choice again. Don't particularly see the advantage of TURP over GL, especially if the GL worked out.

There are newer, less invasive procedures out there, but the trade off is sometimes less optimum results against fewer sexual side effects such as retrograde orgasm. However, if you already have retro from your last GL, or if retro isn't an issue, then less of an advantage.

If you haven't already, you might want to get re-evaluated in terms of bladder functionality with urodynamic testing as well as ultrasound imaging. If it turns out that the problem is significant to the bladder as opposed to the obstruction, then you might want to consider decompressing the bladder with six weeks or so of self cathing. You might even find that you're performing well enough after that to delay any decisions.

Jim

• Posted

This is a rare case where I will disagree with Jimjames. At 79, I would try EVERY other procedure that doesn't require anesthesia before considering Greenlight (and I wouldn't cosider TURP at all). At nearly 80, the risks of being put under aren't justified when there are less invasive, shorter recovery options that don't carry that risk. Urolift (if you don't have an enlarged median lobe), Rezum, FLA (focal laser ablation), PAE (same median lobe issues as Urolift) are all options to discuss with your doctor. What made sense at 64 with 2003 technology doesn't make as much sense now IMO, despite the good outcome.

• Posted

As always, OB raises good points. That said, my understanding is that anesthesia risk is more related to conditions such as heart disease and diabetes and not age per say. But then there are the cognitive issues following anathesia but I think they also are there even with twilight. In any event, do check with your internist/cardiologist on this point. As to the less invasive options listed, again make sure that they will give you the best chance, because they always don't in the trade off for less sexual side effects which may already be a mute point. A good urologist and urodynamics might be helpful here.

Jim

Jim

• Posted

Go to a Center of Excellence for the urolift and ask them to evaluate you for the urolift.

Click in find a physician at www.urolift.com and look for one near you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.