Aggravated Muscle Strain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Dear Dr.

Hello.

I'm happy to join this forum, and I hope it helps me in some way.

I'm a 49-year old female, and I'm currently coping with a problem which is really worrying me more and more.

I used to jog, and about 3 months ago (on May the 18th), after running 10km, I had a muscle strain.

I must say that I was shocked about its effects on my body (or on my legs), and I wasn't initially aware of what this was.

For that reason, I never applied the common method that is recommended for this this, known as RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression and

However, I went to the doctor who said that I had just had a muscle strain, and it was something not to be worried about, since it would pass on its own.

Indeed, about a week later, I started feeling better, and I could resume my usual activities.

But unfortunately, I never asked the doctor how long I should have waited before I restarted running.

So, about 3 weeks after the first muscle strain, I got another one, and because I also used to walk a lot, my condition deteriorated even more about a week later.

As a consequence, I have hardly been able to leave the house since June the 19th.

Despite, I don't feel I have got much better. (My recovery hasn't been progressive either, and some weeks I feel better than others.)

I am now absolutely terrified that I may never recover from this.

To make things worse, I have kept losing muscle mass due to my inactivity.

By May 18th, I weighed 57.8kg; and now I weigh 54.1kg (plus, I'm sure all the loss has been in muscle mass, and not fat).

I will now start taking some Magnesium supplements which are said to give benefits to the muscles.

Before this happened, I used to feel comfortable walking distances up to 10 km.

(I had walked at very most 24km, and ran 12km.)

I would be happy if I could walk up to 5km (since I consider this the minimum in order to run any errands), and I wouldn't care so much if I don't ever run again.

So, what suggestions could you give me to try to overcome this?

Should I increase my usual calorie intake in order to put on muscle? (And if so, by how much?)

With my best regards,

worried woman

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

My advice would be take it easy. I once broke my feet and lost a quiet amount of muscle due to inactivity and was feeling weak. What helped was physical therapy. if you can find a therapist, he might help significantly by giving some gentle stretching exercises and massage. Meanwhile, at home you can start with heat therapy. It can help with the muscular pain. Usually a piece of warm towel wrapped around your leg can make the trick. If you feel the inflammation is still present, i would advice ice to reduce swelling. About your muscles loss, i would advice for increasing your proteins intakes.

I wish you a good recovery and i repeat take it easy. Your muscles might be still recovering. Don't overwork them as it could worsen your injury.

kind regards,

• Posted

Eat healthy and exercise. Putting on muscles has pros and cons. Just do what you think it best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.