Aging and Dementia

Posted , 1 user is following.

i am almost 65 years old and have a few physical issues that are taxing on me which I'm finding is a catalyst for memory issues. Dementia is a family thing and at first when I realized I was having trouble with my memory I panicked and thought it was happening to me.

I decided to be proactive and do things that promote my abilities to remember. I took up oil painting, reading, crossword puzzles and following new recipies for meals.

I am intentional in what I do, and a biggie is reducing the stress in my life. I still work full time but my off time is "me" time and I have created healthy boundaries that I insist on and try not to waiver from.

I also do therapeutic light therapy to ward off winter doldrums. I try to sleep well and I find fellowship with others to be mentally stimulating. Its like the Serenity Prayer, "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference."

Being accepting of myself, acknowledging my strengths and weaknesses and focusing on living in the moment is helping me reduce stress and feel better about myself.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.