Aglomelatine- has anyone tried it?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, everyone.

I have had lifelong issues with anxiety and depression, and been through a range of medications for both. Only Fluoxetine 80mg was fairly effective, for several years, until it stopped working due to tolerance. I've recently had a horrific experienced withdrawing from Cymbalta , and have been to see a psychiatrist who has suggested I try Aglomelatine. His description indicated few side effects, apart fro possible liver toxicity, but reading online reviews, I have seen joint pain, hair loss and aggression all indicated as severe by some users. I already have Osteoarthritis, which is widespread, so more joint pain is definitely not desirable! Also, I'm concerned about the two other side effects. Has anyone got any experience, positive or negative, they'd be willing to share about this drug?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

see your doctor or seek a second opinion,most antidepressants are high in side effects that doctors won't inform you about.... try mindfulness, yoga anything but drugs.

• Posted

Thank you for responding. I agree with you. In my experience, doctors tend to be very reserved about mentioning adverse side effects when prescribing medications and then have little advice to offer when it comes to managing any which occur. I am going to make an appointment with my GP, who is as helpful as a generalist can be, and also have an appointment with my excellent Psychological therapist, who is usually most supportive and gives me excellent advice about managing my long term , chronic Anxiety and Depression problems. I may also try to get another opinion from a psychiatrist before starting to take yet another medication, to make sure I'm not going into things blindly, The idea of managing my condition purely by using yoga, mindfulness etc. is, unfortunately, not possible in my case, as my issues derive from childhood (genetic and traumatic events) leading me to develop B.P.D. and generalized anxiety disorder.

• Posted

I have tried it but had to discontinue as it wasn't helping me sleep at all.

It's very different from SSRIs. It raises noradrenaline, I believe, instead of serotonin. And also works on melatonin. That, however, in my case had no effect on insomnia.

Unless you have insomnia, I would recommend you try bupropion instead, which also works on norepinephrine but also dopamine. Minimal withdrawal effects as well if it doesn't work out.

If you think it might worsen your anxiety, google '3 Myths About Bupropion' and read the article.

Best wishes

• Posted

Thank you, Kris.

I must admit, I've been sceptical about Aglomelatine. The psych. I saw- a new one for a second opinion- seemed to be "pushing" Aglo., and apparently he'd worked on developing it for distribution, which may explain, his enthusiasm. Certainly, studies I've read don't seem to regard it as being superior in efficacy to other SSRI and SNRI medications. I shall look into Bupuprion. I have another psych. to see for yet another opinion in a couple of weeks, so I want to be as prepared as possible in advance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.