Agomelatine/Valdoxan

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi. I have fought hard to have agomelatine prescribed (currently privately, thanks to NICE guidance which is being changed again next month). I had it prescribed several years ago for anxiety and OCD/phobic disorder until NICE put an embargo on it on the grounds of cost). I have tried several SSRIs in the meantime but with no success and a LOT of illness. Agomelatine has definitely brought some improvement to my anxiety and my depression has virtually gone. BUT I am experiencing side effects and I'd be interested to know what other people have experienced.

1. Sleep

2. Digestion

3. Muscular pain

Any comments would be appreciated.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Same, it took me a lot of convincing to get a psychiatric referral where they finally prescribed me agomelatine. Im on day 5 and I have developed horrible tics and motor movements.

Ive tried Citalopram, Sertraline, Fluoexetine and Mirtazapine and the activating ones cause horrible insomnia for me. while mirt caused me to gain 30kg in 4 months.

i have early onset Parkinsons in the family and i dont want to take anything that would trigger it. Has anyone else experienced tics?

Im tempted to switch back to mirtazapine if the tics comtinue 😦

• Posted

hi. i have back pain and arthritis in feet is mega painful..though, I've come off previous anti depressant that helped with decreasing pain ..so only been on valdoxin 1 week so im hoping pain will calm down at some point .

i am having a nasty bout of hayfever....could be related maybe allergy to new drug...or completely coincidental.

• Posted

Hi Jan,

I have taken Agomelatine twice within the last 6 months. Initially it gave me cramps all over my chest walls. Recently, my psych advised me to get back on it again and this time I had the worst back pain imaginable. It was like having a 100kg load on my back for the whole day. It didn't do much for my depression and anxiety, I felt much better off it. Maybe it helps some and doesn't do much for the rest. Keep looking for something that works for you. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.