Agonizing pain , newly diag.

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was ra + and have been flared up for 4 days now. My pcp, gp, won't call anything in, not even steroids ! This is ridiculous. I don't have my rheumatologist appt for another whole month! What can I do?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Call your rhuemy they will call something in for you.
    • Posted

Tried that. I am not officially a pt because I haven't been there yet, so they said they can't help yet. :*(

• Posted

Jamie I feel for you,my husband had to wait close to 4 months

before he was able to see his rheumy.Ask your gp or pcp for

something for the pain at least.Let them know it's inhuman

to live in such pain especially if they have just diagnosed you

with ra.You can also try home remedies for a bit of relief/relaxation

heating pad,ice packs,epsom salt soaks in tub,have someone who

can give you a light massage if you can tolerate.I hope you get

something at least for the pain

• Posted

HI Jamie

Can your GP give you stronger pain killers as well as an anti

inflamitory cream, just to help you through to you appointment.

Ice packs help a little, oral morphine can help at night time for sleeping but it's not very good as a pain relief.

If you haven't had your 1st appointment yet I can see that your

GP doesn't want to mask the symptoms.

Rest while the joints are swollen. Stronger pain killers Eg:

codine tramodol, will help you without masking your symptoms

though.

• Posted

Gp won't call anything in at all. Not even simply steroids. Just talked to rheumy again and they think it's ridiculous as well. They advise me to go to er for help until I make it to them. They said to have hospital call them if need be. Think that's going to do any good? I really don't want to sit there for hours for no reason.

Thanks

• Posted

P's.... Not currently on anything for my ra. Nothing at all except it's causing my iron to be low, so on iron pill.

• Posted

It can get very bad, since you don't know your RF number, but the higher it is, the more likely this is going to be a fight to get it under control and the sooner you start, the better.  Steroids for one month is not a big deal because it can easily be weaned down later.  But it would make a huge difference in this flare up.  I'd go to the ER in a heart beat.  Suffereing like I know it can be is not wise.

• Posted

MOre specifically it's not low iron per se, it;s low red cells because your bone marrow is under stress and under producting.  This is common in systemic illnesses.  They will monitor your cell counts and if it gets too low, which isn't usually necessary in the beginning, erythropoetin is a med that stimulates the bone marrow.

• Posted

I don't kow why they set a limit of 15 for a norm but I think 44 is high.  I never saw my number so I don't know.  Then C reactive protein is norm of 30 for those over 50.  ANA is another serology test and they can do a series of those to try to figure out what your abnormal antibodies are targeting.  Those latter ones don't have a titer but just positive or negative.

• Posted

What I said for CCP norms is for Sed rate,  CCP is as follows:                 Low risk. You have a CRP level of less than 1.0 milligram per liter (mg/L).

Average risk. You have a CRP level between 1.0 and 3.0 mg/L.

High risk. You have a CRP level greater than 3.0 mg/L.

• Posted

That's really tough to wait in your situation.

if you have the will power, I'd go on a fast of all food, or maybe just drink bone broth.  You can buy it in a health food section.  Food is one factor in the process of inflammation.  If all you can muster is eating salads, all raw, then that will be better than just continuing to eat whatever.  Vegetabes do not add to the inflammation.  Just lay low and don't do any extra physical things, likelifting or walking excessively.  Your joints need rest and even heat or cold therapy.  If you can tolerate aleve, take two morning and night.  It will help some till they get you on sulfasalazine and likely MTX.  But the sooner you can get on a biological the sooner it goes into remission, for most RA people anyway.

• Posted

Thanks for replying. This is terrible. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis 15 yrs ago. Had no idea I'd end up like my mom. She also has ra but is not having it treated. Don't know how she's doing it. I can barely stand at sink to do dishes.

Who knows how long I've had ra or for that matter how advanced it is. All I know is it's very painful

Heating pad and icy hot are my only savoirs right now. But I can't just lay around all day.

So frustrating.

• Posted

My parents only had osteo, but my mom's aunt had RA and my dad's sister was diagnosed with RA a few years ago.  Part of it is genetic and part they think is some retro virus that wakes up this dormant gene.  The same goes for Type 1 diabetes which we have a smattering of through cousins and so on.  Some day the will know how to correct it at the DNA level, which is starting in a program called Crispr but so far not perfected because they can't guarentee something else may be changed that is not desirable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.