Agonizing pain post incisional hernia repair..mesh??

Posted , 6 users are following.

My second incisional hernia repair was carried out in September 2016...I was told the size of the mesh used was 20cm x 20cm.  Here we are 11 months later and I am still experiencing excrutiating pain.  I have revisited the surgeon who told me the operation was succesful and explained that some patients are left with chronic pain post op!! I had not been made aware of this fact pre op!!.. I have undergone numerous scans and investigative procedures to eliminate any of the suspected causes..all results have come back clear.  I am currently awaiting results of a final scan ordered by the original surgeon.  My Dr is clearly not interested and physically pushed me from the consultation room on one occasion, saying he did not have the time to go through it all !!

I have been on sick leave from work for the past 8 months..I am now losing my career of 20 years and the security and standard of living that afforded me and my Wife.

I am constantly chasing up consultations having twice 'slipped through the net'  and having to 'begin' it all again....

THEN...

A friend phoned.."put the tv on NOW...Victoria Derbyshire Programme....AMAZED..the guests on the show were describing my symptoms down to the very last detail....until this point I honestly believed it was just me who was living with chronic pain brought on by a hernia repair.  It seems there are concerns around the mesh used in this type of operation......

Where on earth do I go from here??????? 

Is anyone here having the same problems as me?

I'm a 48 yr old female...who is now having to use a stick to walk and is unable to work..just about everything I do causes me more pain..and don't get me started on the nausea sad 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello

I was in the same boat as you... I had an umbillical hernia that started hurting. I was never told there was any other option than the mesh, but there is.

I was in chronic pain for 3 years. 3 years I've lost because of the mesh. I had mine removed in March and I feel a million times better. I'm not sure if that's an option for your type of hernia, or not. If you want my surgeons details I can send them over. It's a fairly dangerous procedure. Better to not have it put in in the first place.

I feel like these surgeons should be held responsible for not giving us all the options. I've tried talking to lawyers but to no avail.

I just follow this forum to try and help others out before they get the mesh added.

• Posted

Hi there, hmmm we all seem to be in a bit of a pickle don't we? Unfortunately, removal of the mesh is not an option I have, apparently. In fact I have two meshes now, having had 2 repairs for the same hernia.

I am so happy to hear that your health has improved since the removal of the mesh, but as you say, you have lost three years of your life to chronic pain and somebody should be accountable for it.  It is so unfair that none of us appear to have been warned of the possible post op complications, even though it appears they are noted and documented within the medical profession. I am at a loss to understand why the mesh is still being used for procedures when it is known that it can cause life changing experiences for some.

Thank you for your reply Esoteric and I hope your health continues to improve smile

• Posted

Lesley-I had an incesional hernia surgery May, 2015.  I have been having similar issues since January.  My mesh is quite large.  I was told that my pain and bloating was from post infectious IBS (irritable bowl syndrome).  This is because I was on 2 weeks of IV antibiotics after an appendix rupture.  We followed this line of thinking by taking Xifaxan (a strong antibiotic that effects only the gut) and many different probiotics.  The Xifaxan did help the diarrhea but nothing else.  I am still on a Fob Map diet and not eating raw veggies.  It is better if I just eat small meals.  

Last weekend I had a partial intestinal obstruction and went to the ER.  I sat in the hospital for 3 days.  Part of the time with an NG tube up my nose and into my stomach.  That releases the obstruction.  Now I know that this is not IBS.  

I also have pain around the mesh every time I stand and walk too much.  It can also hit while just sitting.  I am going back to my Colorectal Surgeon today for another consult.  I really don't think he can do anything.

I am 65 and had no thoughts of retiring but indeed had to retire.  I am in the U.S. and since we do not have socialized medicine, there are commercials on the TV constantly regarding class action lawsuits regarding mesh.  There are many large law firms that are suing the mesh companies and asking for mesh patients to get involved for a later cash settlement.  The doctors and hospitals are not being sued.  The mesh company is being sued for supposedly selling something that would cause harm to patients.  Who knows if these companies really tried to harm people.  I choose to believe no.

The U.K. has a single payer medical program so you probably don't see all of the TV commercials we have for financial gain.

• Posted

Hi Judith, thank you for your reply. You are right in what you say, re; the TV commercials for financial gain in the UK.. we do have them for 'accidents' at work etc..but I have never seen one representing the manufacturers of the surgical mesh. I only learned of the concerns around the mesh via the TV programme aired here last month, as I say, until that point I had thought I was alone in this awful situation. I am so upset that after 20 years with the same company, working my way up the ladder and finally achieveing a comfortable standard of living..I am to lose it all. It hurts. I had many working years left in me..now I have been rendered incapable and goodness knows what awaits me and my family now sad 

I feel angry that the medical profession were aware of such post op complications , and never gave me that information before my operation.  At least I could have made adequate preparations, just incase !!

I too have pain while just sitting...sometimes it's a constant burning sensation and others it is like a hot stab that makes me sit up and take notice I can tell you. I have nausea most of the day and I am becoming increasingly, for want of a better word, exhausted.

Judith, I do hope you manage to find some medical help for your own situation and above all some blessed relief.  Again, thank you for your reply. I wish you well.

• Posted

Hi Lesley,  I did see my colorectal surgeon today.  We reviewed the CT scan that I had while in the hospital with the obstruction a week ago.  He says I have adhesions attaching my small intestines together.  The small intestines are constantly moving and these adhesions or scar tissue keep them from moving.  This is how I got the obstruction.  He will do surgery in September to release these adhesions.  He will hopefully do this laparoscopically ( I think you call it keyhole surgery).  If it can be done laparoscopically there will be less future scar tissue formed.  

It sounds like you have a similar problem that should be corrected by surgery.  It was clearly seen on my CT scan.  They look like large white bubbles close to the abdominal wall.  My hernia mesh is holding quite well.  Adhesions can happpen anytime you go into any part of the body.  I had a similar obstruction prior to getting the mesh.

You need to make some noise and be heard about your issues.  Let me know how things turn out after your next meeting with your surgeon.

All my best to you Lesley.

• Posted

Hey Judith..fabulous news for you..phew, I bet that has afforded you a huge sigh of relief.  Thank goodness you now know the cause of your problem AND that it can be fixed smile 

Thank you for getting back in touch and I shall of course let you know how things progress for me also.

My first hernia operation wasn't done laparoscopically ..but my second one was. neutral

You take care now..September is just around the corner * waving hands and cheering* wink 

• Posted

You may want to speak to a Dr. Petersen, He has been an advocate for non mesh surgeries and much of his practice involves removing mesh from failed surgeries. His practice is in Las Vegas. Please understand that I'm not recommending for or against mesh surgeries.  He has a web site.

I've not had my surgery yet. I must lose thirty pounds before the surgeon in Ontario Canada will operate. We live in Victoria, BC and will fly to Ontario in order to have the inguinal surgery done without mesh at the Shouldice Medical Clinic. I wish you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I have indeed heard of  Dr, Peterson and the Shouldice...both were featured on the programme I mentioned in my original post smile

I wish you luck on your weight loss journey, and I truly hope all goes well with your operation. 

• Posted

Salal, I wouldn't recommend a doctor that you haven't experienced just from an internet post.  If you do a Google search on this Dr. Peterson you will find that he has some scathing ratings.  Many are saying he causes more pain when the mesh is removed.  It also says his clinic where he performs surgery is way below the quality that is seen in a hospital.  You always have to be concerned if a doctor does not have privileges at a hospital.

From what I understand a large incesional hernia has to be fixed with a mesh.  It is too large for any other way at this time.  My adhesions were caused by multiple open surgeries, not necessarily the mesh. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.