Agony with gallstones. Help

Posted , 4 users are following.

First went to the doctors April this year was sent away after being told it was acid reflux, lots of trips back and forth and finally after 6 months of pain and some agonising flare ups I was finally sent for a ultrasound scan, which showed multiple stones and sludge, just days after the scan I had an agonising flare up to which I had paramedics out, was given morphine and Gas and air to help with the pain, saw my doctor the next day and I was referred to the hospital. I am on codeine most of the time and have been on extremely low fat diet for over a month now, can't eat a lot. Blood tests have shown that my liver isn't working properly due to the gallstones. I can't work because I'm too exhausted all of the time. Is there anything else I can do or do I really have to suck it up and wait in this state?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there sorry to see your having problems and I know how you feel. In my experience codeine has made the flare up worse. In many cases I would say don't get the op because of the pain I'm in now but if it's affecting other things yiu should definately get the gall bladder removed. It can just be the answer to your problems. My problems stem from post op and that the pain Im having might have had nothing to do with the gallstones as I didn't have a lot and it wasn't affecting any other organs. I really hope you feel better soon . I had a conversation with a different gp today and it's the first I've felt like I'm getting anywhere in 11 years. Good luck and my thoughts are with you as I know how much pain you will be in . Xxx

• Posted

Hi 

you poor thing . But unfortunately this is the norm... Now you wait for removal ...but some do get it removed on an emergency due to calling an ambulance ...

buscapan helps with flare ups ..and for me omeprazole stopped the colic attacks sickness constant vomiting agony like a heart attack as the omeprazole stops your body from producing 90 percent of acid   ..so gives your gall bladder a rest ...

caffeine causes your gallbladder to contract ...squeeze which then causes pain with all the stones in it ..

i lived on boiled potatoes, boiled veg and bisto gravy every day for months while waiting for my op..I ate weetabix for breakfast skimmed milk and boiled potatoes for lunch too ...it was so so boring but I avoided pain ..no meat , no fat ... Watch out for jaundice if your liver is struggling pale stools yellowing skin it's life threatening ..call ambulance ASAP ..

once it's removed you will feel so much better ..

hang in there you'll look back on it all soon as a bad memory ...

• Posted

I had problems with my liver before the op ... apparently it is quite a frequent occurance.   I went on a totally  no fat diet and this did help.  Drink water with fresh lemon squeezed in; I know that might sound quite the wrong thing to do, but lemon actually alkalises once in your body - it will also help kick your liver into action again.  The only fat I have now is coconut, which doesn't affect me now, nor did it before my op (last April).     Wishing you well.
  • Posted

I'm also dairy free now and have been for 6 months. Just really really low in myself too it's affecting my sleep in fact it's ruining my whole life. Thank you all for your kind words. Have got an appointment at the hospital this coming Monday so hopefully will get some more news then. All I know is I want this god damn thing out now!!!
  • Posted

Just wanted to update.

It turned out that I had an horrendous infection and inflammation in my GB went to the hospital early hours of Sunday morning and was given different painkillers, spent all of Sunday in bed really poorly, had an appointment at the hospital with GB team on Monday I never made it in to clinic as I was admitted, on IV antibiotics for 4 days then luckily well enough to come home although still poorly, I now have a million tablets to take a day and my op booked for the 13th, yep Friday 13th November!!! In all of this not once did I have a temperature and I had a yellowish tinge about me but only noticed by people that know how pale I really am!! Only showed up in blood tests! Luckily I have an amazing team of doctors. I'm still extremely sore but I'm guessing this is going from a scan showing just stones and sludge 2 weeks a go to a thickened wall and a very angry looking GB!!!xx

• Posted

You poor thing you've been through the mill ...thank goodness they sorted you out , now for the op which will sort out your problem for good ... Hope it goes well . I am sure it will 👍😀
    • Posted

Thank you. I can not wait to have the op!!

Had enough of feeling like this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.