Agony with one foot

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm not one to usually have problems and I don't know if it's work related.

I work in a warehouse (motor factor) I am on my feet 8 hrs a day on a concrete floor up and down metal steps, my job means I have to wear steel toe boots,on average I'm walking around 6 mile a day 5 days a week during working hours

Ive been ok all year until this cold weather, after going back on Tuesday after the xmas break, i came home in agony, our warehouse is freezing in winter and despite wearing a thermal pair of socks plus a thin cotton pair inside them I could feel the cold radiating from the floor into my shoes, it got to the point where my toes were so painful and had hotaches.

yesterday it was even worse I was still suffering from my first day back but again my feet hurt so much from the cold like my bones were aching,i know sounds weird.it got to the point where I was in agony every time I stepped with one foot, i got home and had a foot spa and even 4 hours after getting home my feet were still cold it's as if the cold is stopping blood flow to my toes as surely they should be warm after that time?

Top of foot was slightly tender and if I flex my toes I got pain radiate along the outer edge of foot.

I struggled into work today, same again freezing cold and within minutes of being there my feet were numb, this time every time I step down and I'm in so much agony I literally want to cry, someone told me it is my work shoes and the soles are not thick enough so let the cold in,someone else says walking on concrete 8 hrs a day isn't good plus the cold could cause rhumatics and I should have an anti fatigue mat at my pc for the moments when I'm not having to walk around.

Ive had to come home today because I just couldn't walk no more, the pain was like someone crushing the bones in my foot, I've noticed if I rotate my ankle it makes the whole top of my hurt along the toe joints, i haven't dropped anything or twisted my foot at any time which I'm even more confused about, even now I've been home 3 hours and just my toes are still like blocks of ice,soles are warm despite putting my big furry slipper boots on.

I can't carry on this way, I can't afford time off work but I don't know if it's the cold environment in the warehouse causing it, I tried swapping my work shoes for trainers but Thst was even worse as they have a raised instep and by That pressing on my arch the pain on top just doubled, just don't know what to do, so just so wondered if anyone else has experienced anything similar?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

SOUNDS  like Raynauds which is what I have. try foot warmers which fit great and do not bother the size or fit of shoe. I don't know where you are but, I have a horse farm in VA so buy huge amounts at Costco. They have had and foot ones. Could also go to physician just to make sure nothing else is wrong because Raynauds can be a symptom of another auto ammune disease. If it is bilateral and not just in one foot. How are you fingers? You can get frostbite so be careful. hope this helps. Sandi

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, I am in the UK and yes I think I know what you mean, they have gel pouch things that they use for hiking etc that keep hands and feet warm.

My hands aren't too bad I do keep gloves on at work during winter as I'm handling car exhausts and other parts, but I did think about raynauds before as last year in cold weather I had one finger that went white at the end, and numb,my son has had it happen to, my partner was laughing saying what on earth you aren't normal, are you sure you're human hahaha, at the moment both feet are still cold but it's just one foot that really hurts to walk

• Posted

Yep, you have it. Be careful. Heat those white toes and fingers up!! You can take a vaso dialator (blood pressure med) but it made me have headaches because mine runs low anyway. Stay warm!!
  • Posted

meant they have hand and foot ones. read reply below. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.