Agoraphobia and medication

Posted , 2 users are following.

I posted a few week back regarding my anxiety now becoming agoraphobia. I still am unable to go out alone and have been prescribed medication. I tried one which made me ill so now I have been given venlafaxine. However after reading about how hard it is to come off of this drug I am reluctant to start it. Plus I believe it is more effective for depression not anxiety. Part of me feels that medication is not really the key. I am not sure why this has happened. I have always been anxious but not in the way I am now.

I used to be able to control the anxiety, for example if I felt dizzy or weird when out I would rush home, like almost run and though I felt bad I had a solution and the feeling was gone. Plus it wasn't there all the time. Then last year the symptoms changed so now I literally cannot move when out. I have to walk slowly and hold on to something - this is like 1000 times worse then the fight of flight feeling. But during these "attacks" I wasn't having a panic attack as such. The imbalance is incredible like I will fall backwards or sideways and I have a feeling of intense nausea . I could not turn around or walk fast; just slowly edge along until I got home. Sometimes I really don't know how I made it.

I can walk okay when at home but even then I have some dizziness which has been there since I had a really bad vertigo attack many many years ago. I don't think I ever really recovered from waking up with severe vertigo and am always on alert for it to happen again. However, as I said this was controllable, this problem when walking outdoors is not and I am afraid it will never go away or is something more sinister as it does not match a panic attack.

I tried to go out and stay in the situation but it did not seem to get better and I was not strong enough to stay out for long. I just pray that one day it will get better but now even the thought of going out makes me feel nauseated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Regarding my earlier post I wondered if benzodiazepines may help? or would GPs even prescribe them due to them being addictive? the antidepressants definitely did not help and I cannot wait 4-6 weeks for them to work.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear about how difficult it's been for you. I also get dizzy and disoriented when I go out alone and I know how scary it can be. I know that benzodiazepines can help immediately but also that it's probably best to use them as a short-term solution. My SNRI took weeks to start really helping me, and my psychiatrist did offer Ativan as a temporary solution for the waiting period. They are addictive so if you struggle with substances it can be a slippery slope. But as something just to hold you over and make the first few weeks of an antidepressant more bearable, they could definitely be a viable option. I hope you find something that works or at least helps. You got this.

• Edited

Thank you, it really is difficult isn't it. I have kind of forgotten what it feels like to feel normal (well as normal as I used to feel!) its like trying to reprogram yourself. I hope you feel better soon too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.