Agreed to STAY on CAMPRAL with GP w/heart monitor

Posted , 7 users are following.

Campral as I have said has really worked for me...my GP pointed out that my weight gain hasn't been all that much..and she "hears" me when I say I feel like I am short of breath and my heart races (more than usual)..

I agree its hard to determine because I have Empheysema...and panic attacks...So...she said she could give me a heart monitor so it would "catch" the short spats of heart racing I think I am feeling....and that I can stop in when I feel short of breath to test my oxygen.

SO...I'm staying on it..very blessed to have her as a GP....she asked to give me a hug at the end...said I am working hard, doing great..and she "just loves me"....

I need to be loved...I need the attention..she is fairly new to me...so she doesn't KNOW me..and I was off on a tirant today about the psychologist that is fairly new to me..not even knowing I was in hospital..and then ooops here is the report in the file...REALLY its been 3 frigin weeks I told my GP and I have been calling for a follow up....

For the most part thou..most of my medical team is awesome and my Mom said when I'm done I will have a "million dollar" work up...she is probably right!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I hope this all smooths out for you, Misssy. I've see blood oxygen meters that clip onto your fingertip available on Amazon (pulse oximeters), maybe that would help your doc nail things down?
    • Posted

Hi ADE...thank you for the info.

Here in the US...my Dr would prescribe the pulse ox meter so I wouldn't have to pay for it.  

But, I didn't know they had them....when I see her next Friday to get the heart monitor....I will ask about this...THANK YOU.

• Posted

No prob. 

I'm in the US of A too, Misssy. Just the opposite coast.

• Posted

CAnI ask what is campral and what it does for you? 
    • Posted

Hi Kathy:

This is what Campral does for ME.  The drug works maybe a little differently on everyone..but is worth a shot....if you are an alcoholic like me.

I am one of those alcoholics everyone thinks will die from drinking one day.  

So...I started taking Campral 3 weeks ago....My Dr. prescribed it to me after a DRUNK visit I had with her.  

She told me it would stop the cravings.  I didn't believe her.

Campral for the last 3 weeks...has honestly probably saved my life at least 3x....most of those days that were pretty low stress days I was surprised the old creeping thoughts didn't come up to spruce up my day...catch a buzz (because usually at the 2 week mark of sobriety I drink for some reason or another).  I was thinking at 2.5 weeks...hey I'm not having those thoughts.

At least 3x in the last 3 weeks I have over the top stressful periods and usually my first reaction is F-This...I'm drinking....and I did say F-This...and I did think of a drink "briefly"...but the thought did not become obsessive...and THEN I knew Campral was saving my life.

No really bad side effects...can be stopped at any time....can drink with it and you won't get sick (if you slipped)...Its not like Naltraxone..it won't curb the amount you get you just won't get sick.

My understanding of the drug from discussion with my Dr. is that it is used for people that want or NEED to be totally free from alcohol.

I NEED to be free from alcohol...and it works for me.

• Posted

Hi Misss2

Thanks for letting me know I had heard the name but not asked my gp about it. I asked about another but she said I would have to have it prescribed y the IAPT which is an alcohol support service so not sure she would give me this either which is a real pain as I woul have to trek 25 mins to Nuneaton to see them and still waiting for appointmnet. I have a counsellor close by seen years ago but she will not be able to prescribe and don't think going on line to get it would be good.  I could ask I guess what I might do is request a call back from the GP I have been under next week and ask her the question - guessing she will say IAPT though, you are lucky your gp will dot it, but not sure where you are based all NHS areas are different I guess. xx

• Posted

I really DONT understand why they won't prescribe this drug readily to HELP the people stop craving alcohol....BUT, I have seen many people in the UK say they are on Anxiety meds/benzo's which are addictive.

Campral is NOT addictive and can be stopped at ANY time without ill effects.  

If my GP said NO...I would ask that exact question...Why do you all prescribe benzos?  And this is a drug with no addictive effects!

• Posted

'I would have to trek 25 mins to Nuneaton'

Oh lordy, I don't think I would trek one mile to treacle town (Nunny) and its twin town Beduff. Are you going out of county or do you live at the other end of Warwickshire?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.