Aguablation pre-op and kinda nervous.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've read many of the experiences and or reviews for the Aguablation procedure and they're scary and filled with joy at the same time. The information here for post-op recovery is very informative and gave me more of an accurate scenario and what to expect. I know the results varied from person to person but I now know what to expect from good to bad and a really good estimation on recovery time. I'm 17 days out from the Aguablation procedure and now know to get my bowels ready (constipation has always been a problem for me) and I know how to do that. What has me a little dumbfounded is all the information these other men have about the overall condition of their prostate when I know very little. This is my third Urologist in 12 years and I'm glad to have found him. I've been in the hospital for prostatitis with serious infection 8 times now. The first two Urologists talked about procedures but never pursued the issue beyond pharmaceutical treatment of Tamsulosin and visits every 90 days or so. This new Urologist was baffled by this and in 2 months time he built a very strong case with me and the insurance company for the Aguablation procedure. He has performed many hundreds of these procedures and his nurse practitioner claims him to be a "Rockstar" in the Aguablation procedure. She says I have nothing to worry about. My PSA has always been around 3.0 to 4.5 and all of my Urologists have made the comment "Your prostate isn't that enlarged to be causing you this much trouble." CT scans, X-Rays, probes into my bladder and prostate and ultrasounds all come up with the same thing. Not a very enlarged prostate but clearly chronic prostatitis. I know I've been rambling and ranting but I'm a little nervous. But the overall outcome after a few months sounds so glorious I'm going ahead full steam with this procedure. I'm no coward but still a little nervous.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Robert. I can understand your nervousness. I had the procedure back in May. I will tell you that I have absolutely NO regrets about it. I have experienced no side effects and the recovery was really only about 2 weeks for me. The post op pain is really manageable by over the counter pain meds, but your doctor will likely give you something a little stronger for a couple of days. The only real pain I experienced is attributed to bladder spasms. I initially thought that what was happening was that the catheter was clogged, but in hindsight it was really the bladder spasms. They are quite painful even though the are short in duration. The nurses on my floor for the recovery had told me when I arrived that the doctor had provided a prescription for bladder spasm relief and told me to let them know if I needed it. Having no idea what they were talking about, I initially told them sure I would let them know. Even when I started experiencing the pressure that I thought was a clogged catheter, none of them identified it as bladder spasms until the night shift nurses came on. After that it was much better once I started taking the spasm medication. So with that said, my suggestion to you and anyone who is going to have this is to go ahead on the first day of recovery and ask for this medication and also the pain medication. The pain medication is as I said not real necessary, but it helps with the pain and also allows you to get some limited sleep while they keep swapping out the urine and saline bags every hour.

Best of luck and I hope your experience is as successful as mine was.

• Posted

Well, I gotta say that sounds like a wonderful outcome. I'm hoping for the best because I have to get back to work A.S.A.P. It's a critical time of the year in my position and I'll be needed near constantly. Thanks for your good news, I hope mine is as well.

• Posted

I had my pre op laboratory done today and it's off to the races in 10 days. I've been urinating like a 25 year old man since the bladder and prostate probe back on the 4th of October. It's kinda nice but that happens to me every time after that procedure. The downside is my bladder control is a little weak and I can wet my pants if I don't watch it close. Typically, after they probe my bladder and prostate I'm prime for infection. This time I was already taking Doxycycline and my Urologist gave me a shot of Rocephin before the procedure. No infection and urinating like a water hose. I know it's temporary and a small win, but I'll take it.

• Posted

No need to be nervious I had the procedure last Monday and knew nothing about it after pre-med with the aneathetist. My postrate was regerded as medium (45mm) with a meian lobe that caused a partial obstruction at the bladder neck. Discharged on Thursday9 a day later than expected) now at home and resting which is a chore. Worse thing is I cannot drive for 4 weeks.

Best of luck

• Edited

Was aquablation the only procedure you considered? If any, what other procedures did you consider.? I am in the same situation 55mm + median lobe. I'm looking at prostate artery embolism,pae, because aquablation is not offered anywhere near me.

• Posted

To be completely honest, I didn't know about Aguablation until I saw this new Urologist. Where I live, I was never diagnosed with chronic prostatitis and suffered with it for years. 8 visits to the hospital with two of those visits in the ICU. How did that get missed? I had to leave town to find help and that's what I did. I'm driving 3 hours one way to see my Urologist and that's okay. I have a theory about why I was never diagnosed, but it's a little dark and I'm trying to keep things positive.

• Posted

I guess that kills my NASCAR schedule. No, seriously, the 3 hour ride home I hear is going to be rough. I'll try and prepare for that.

• Posted

The closest Uro for Aquablation is a little over 6 hours, 1 way for me, its 5 hours, 1 way, for the PAE (interventional radiologist).

• Posted

I had researched and considered TURP, HOLEP Icind and decided after many consultations with Uro's Aqublation would be much kinder and less after effects. I am in the UK and could only find a qualified Urologist 250miles from my home. I had the op on 9th October and disharged on12th, the TWOC did not work after 2 days and had a cath inserted before coming home.

The TWOC was done, again, 2 days ago, but still no natural flow after 6 hours, nurse had to insert another cath. I have become a little impatient that natural flow has not happened. I have a phone consultation booked for next Monday 23rd, with Uro when I hope to get info to help.

I have been told by Uro Nurses, internal healing can longer in some patients and possibly I need to be more patient ( no pun intended)

It is frustrating, I will keep you advised.

Would welcome how other men have coped with the delay in natural voiding as I am suffering.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.