aid for prolapse bladder

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a genitoryurine prolapse supported with a ring pessary, but it did not hold all of my bladder, and I had a constant need to pee with constant irritation when walking, so I bought some super size tampax, soaked them to inflate and pushed the bladder up with one.  If you can lodge it near the pessary it will stay.  This takes the need away to pee constantly, and I do not now need to wake during the night to go either.  I got this idea from seeing inflatable pessaries on line.  One flaw to this is it normally gets dislodged during a bowel motion , they are cheap and certainly cured my problem.

Samantha

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sounds ok if it works. I heard somewhere that women used to use an orange or apple for same purpose! lol I prefer your method though! rolleyestwisted Are you going to have surgery to repair it eventually? neutral

• Posted

Hi Pollyanna, usually with prolapse the vaginal muscle has gone but I doubt if I could manage an apple, I found soaking the tampon (and drying it) swells the size.  I have suffered this prolapse for over a year with many gynae visits to find the right size of pessary first, they say that the more experienced Gynae can assess which size just by looking, which would have helped.  I do not want surgery with the latest scandal on mesh uplifts and am still waiting on if or when this is going to happen, urodynamics scheduled for April.
    • Posted

It's caused by the pelvic floor muscles becoming weaker as we grow older and lack oestrogen after menopause in some cases. Chilbirth, (4 times for me,) different types of jobs which entail lifting, standing, bending all day all contribute. I was given a shelf pessary, like a triangular thing which folds to insert but opens up in situ. It caused so much pain going in and even worse when I had it removed to have an internal ultrasound scan. It was not one wich can be removed by oneself. I have heard that the gelhorn are better but was not offered one. I think my problems are largely due to age (73) and the fact that my vaginal muscles/tendons have atrophied. I was also prescribed Estriol cream and tried it but it caused intense pain and soreness inside and out when it leaked out. Agony until I had a shower and got rid of it. Best wishes, x rolleyes

• Posted

The only problem I can foresee with this though is -isn't there some sort of toxic shock thing when you leave tampons in-i cant remember the name. I hope you can get it sorted -i am having a similar problem with my bladder and got to wait till 15th to see urologist-fed up with running to the loo!

• Posted

Hi Angela, toxic shock syndrome is rare and only happens if you don't change the tampon regularly.  This method has changed my life, being able to go places without running to the loo, my gp has sanctioned it, relieving the constant pressure on the bladder which gives you the feeling that you need when you don't, and you do need (at least I did) to soak the tampons to enlarge the width as my prolapse is vaginal, uterine and bladder and of course ordinary size just falls out.  Extreme cases my Gp advises using 2, this cannot do you any harm, good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.