Air cast boot questions

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello. Im 5 weeks post achilles tendon (full synthetic) transfer and still in a plaster cast.

I will be in the cast for 7 weeks in total prior to moving to the boot (can't wait).

When you first went in the boot  could you walk straight away?

How many wedges did you have put it?

How long before the first one was removed and how often after that?

Did you start PT as soon as you went in the boot?

How long in total where you in the boot?

I understand everyons op and recovery is different but I'd just like a rough guide.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Denise I never used any wedges in the boot and could walk ok pretty soon. I think was in the boot about a month. I think it's as much to keep your leg safe as anything else! Good luck. My leg is stronger than ever now.

• Posted

Hi Jobobo. I'm 99% sure I'll have 3-4 wedges as my foot is fully tilted down now so I'll have to start the slow tilting process.

• Posted

Hi Denise

I had surgery repair after a complete rupture. 2 weeks in cast before sutures removed and into the boot. 4 wedges, one wedge removed each week for 4 weeks. PT did not start until I was out of the boot as I had to wear it 24/7.

Having put NO weight on the leg up to going into the boot, I was told I could fully weight bear but it was very painful the first 2-3 days. I used crutches to take some of the weight. Once I was used to the boot I was able to walk with minimal use of crutches. Coming out of the boot was also a huge shock.

I'm now 5 months post op and only now walking with a near normal gait. The PT stretching and strengthening exercises are gradually loosening and building up my leg but I'm still a long way from jogging, let alone jumping. The leg is still very stiff and tight.

If you are in the U.K., don't expect any treatment from the NHS physio. They will simply assess you and give you exercises. I paid for private physio twice a week to have my leg properly manipulated and stretched, as well as ultra sound.

Be patient. It's a long, slow process.

Good luck, Cibby

• Posted

Thanks Cibby for the reply. I'm desperate to get the boot and get some sort of life back.

• Posted

Hi Denise.

I ruptured my Achilles' tendon Hogmanay.I was in a cast for 7 weeks,put into a boot 3 weeks ago with 2 wedges,Ive to take out a wedge tomorrow and stay in boot for another 3 weeks then go back to see consultant.

I went to see physio last week and was given some exercises.I phoned up to push for an appointment.

The first night I was terrified to take the boot off going to bed but had to.It was fine most of it is all in the mind.Im healing well.I started full weight bearing with crutch and boot after about 3or4 days.Last week I started walking about house with shoes on,no crutch.Im not really supposed to but I'm just going with my own feelings.I can stand on one foot (the bad one).Tendon area is ok,I get a lot of wee sore twitches around the foot ( nothing major).Impossible to tip toe,numb sensation but I feel it getting stronger everyday.Im a joiner and aiming to get back to work mid-end April.(4 months all in)off work.I hope this helps,don't push it too much.You will get there.Take care .Mark.

• Posted

Hello Mark. Thank you for the reply. Your case sounds very much like mine. Could I ask. Did you walk out of the hospital putting your foot down the day you went in the boot. Sounds weird wanting to know but I cannot walk using the crutches (other leg has 2 rips also so too painful) and have a knee scooter. The 2 appointments I've had my hubby has come with me but the day i go in a boot he has to drop me and go but can return in a few hours to collect me. I'm just wondering if I'll be able to potter around or I'll need my knee scooter as he normally just uses a hospital wheelchair

• Posted

Hi Denise

your other leg has 2 rips also? That's awful.

When I came out of hospital with boot it was a new experience.I used both crutches until I got familiar to what was happening.You maybe ok to walk in boot but just take care practice in hospital and see if your comfortable,we all have different strengths. Mark.

• Posted

Hello, Denise. Great questions. Here is my experience ((all weeks counted from day of surgery)

When first in boot I was instructed to have no Wright bearing on surgical foot. I used crutches and knee scooter. I was in boot 1 week after Surgery to repair rupture Achilles. As soon as I was in boot I started PT 2x per week as well as prescribed exercises daily

I started with three wedges in boot until week 6. Then took one wedge out per week and at the same time started weight bearing: 25%, 50%, and 75%. So by week 8 I had no wedge and 100% weight bearing in boot.

Week 9 the boot cane off and I transitioned to shoes.

I am now 7 months post op and close to fully recovered. Still have some weakness in ankle and can do partial heel raise.

Hope this helps. Best wishes for speedy recovery!

• Posted

Hi Denise,

I had my OP last year on 16th Sept for a complete tendon rupture. After 3 weeks I had my case removed and Boot on, but non-weight bearing. After another 3weeks (total 6 weeks from Op) was allowed full weight bearing and physio started. My PT trainer was excellent and he took me on a fast track. Today I have completed 5.5 months and am able to Jog, do a heel raise without problems.

What did contribute to this state of recovery, I am 57 years:

- I am a yoga practitioner and also meditate intensely. This helped the healing process very well. A calm state of mind is very essential to any healing process.

- I was 110% with all the PT sessions and followup rigorously, till today. So, the tendon gained both stability, strength.

I injured my achilles tendon while playing Tennis (my passion) and today after 5.5 months I am able to play table tennis (though this is not as rigorous as playing Tennis). In another 3 months I would expect to play a full game of Tennis.

I really can understand the anguish with the tendon injury,  but have confidence and faith that it is going to heal. Meditate!!!  and also give at least 20 minutes each 3 times a day for the PT sessions. In the best of conditions a full tendon rupture would take at least 6 months for a 90% recovery.

Happy healing!!

• Posted

Started PT exactly 3 weeks after surgery had one wedge for period of about 3 weeks. Had splints no cast but once sutures removed was back in boot and could walk but we with Achilles injuries walk like penguins. Swelling was another factor but it gets better with time. God luck and I preach patience

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.