Air Quality

Posted , 5 users are following.

Air quality certainly does a number to my breathing, makes it much more

difficult to breathe.  When the wild fires first started it was terrible.  I opened

a window in the morning not realizing what was happening and was met with a blanket of smoke.  It was quite dark outside and the sky was a very

odd color, kind of a pinky orange hue.  We still haven't had any rain to speak of, although this weekend rain is forecasted and they are saying we could get flash floods as the ground is so dry it won't soak up the rain

very well!  The air is much better these days and breathing is therefore

improved.  One of my cousins fights the fires and I am always worried that later in life it might affect his lungs.  Some of our boys went to Australia to help with the fires there and they sent some of their men here

to help us out.  Anyway.  Off topic. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It's a possibility that some firemen could get effected lungs later in life - but hopefully, if they keep their breathing apparatus on, they will be fine.
  • Posted

I live in a very high fire bushfire risk area in the Yarra Valley in Australia and it was firefighters (I don't think they were all men, by the way!) from this area wo went to Canada and also to California to help out.

Residents here are allowed to burn off fire hazards outside the bushfire danger period on certain days but and during certain months, which means many people burn ANYTHING including green material and some on the wrong days, which fills the valley with dangerou smoke.   Then there are the people who don't know how to operator woodburning heaters or who burn wet or green wood and create more smoke.

All this stupidity and selfishness makes it very difficult for those of us with lung issues and some families have moved out of the area because of it.  I now have supplies of the same masks used by our Country Fire Authority firefighters, recommended by our local (female) fire chief and carry them with me.

If fires come in the summer I'll need to evacuate to my daughter's place for the duration, becauise if the flames don't get me the smoke will

• Posted

Sure there are female firefighters here as well !  My fingers will be crossed for you and I'll say a prayer that you won't need to evacuate to

your daughter's place.  None of the wild fires were that close to my property, some quite a few miles away, however depending on the direction the wind was blowing it caused smoke to blow into the area.

There is 26 acres of trees and brush directly behind my house which were dry as tinder and there are homeless people that camp/live out

there during the summer months, so it was a nerve wracking summer.

Over the past weekend we got a lot of rain thankfully and so far so

good, no flash floods.  Cleaned out all of the drains outside and all

is fine.  Good luck to you Jude and breathe easy. xo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.