Air Travel

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello everyone,

​I am flying on the weekend and wanted to get your advice. How does it effect your symptoms? Is it only on take off and landing from pressure changes? Does it matter if it is short or long flight?  I am afraid of flying as it is so will be taking Xanax. Just looking for some help as already nervous. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I’ve flown since having MD and didn’t seem to make it flair up. I’ve read that it can actually make it better for a while. Not sure how true that is. I always suffered with ears previous to MD and use earplanes to regulate the pressure. Might be worth a go. Good luck and enjoy your holiday 😬

• Posted

All I can say is that I have flown whilst in remission with no ill effects whatever.
  • Posted

Flying does not trigger my Meniere's symptoms at all. As a matter of fact I am writing this as I am sitting on a plane to take off. It really depends on what triggers your Meniere's, I've determined my trigger is stress. As long as I am not very stressed when flying i am fine. I do bring my Valium along, just in case. Good luck.

• Posted

thank you. I took 10mg Valium and it did nothing. Going to try Xanax. Thanks again 
  • Posted

Hi there all previous responses to your question is Spot On. Flew 2 weeks ago. 3 hours. No problem. Your stress and anxiety over flying might trigger it before you even step on the plane. Try and stay stress free. Just the usual pressure from take off and landing. Keep cool and happy trails. 
  • Posted

I hadn't flown since before I came down with MD and I was terrified to fly for so many reasons. I had one longer non-stop flight on the way out and lots of layovers culminating with a 20 min brush-hopper from Chicago to Milwaukee and I was so surprised and pleased that I was okay! My symptoms didn't worsen...I had no attacks. That was my experience. smile

I hope yours is the same and you have a pleasant flight! Stay positive, meditate, hydrate! (I really concentrated on staying hydrated)

Take care,

~Mary

• Posted

I haven't flown a lot since having MD but the times I did fly, I had no additional problems. I would make sure valiu, or xanax are ok to take with any other medications you are taking. For awhile, I was using meclizine and googled interactions with valium. Found out they may make dizziness worse. Have a nice flight and just relax.

• Posted

I've flown a lot, including both long and short haul with only occasional vertigo issues - I did once stagger through Gatwick on my own because I was too stubborn to ask for assistance. When at the airport there are some areas with very bright lighting, try and avoid them, and give yourself plenty of time for security, make sure when you go to the gate you are early enough to get a seat (nothing worse than being stuck standing waiting feeling rough). Have a great holiday, and don't stress

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.