Air travel with BHP..

Posted , 14 users are following.

Can anyone advise me, or relate their experiences, please - I'm aged 82, and have BHP - have been taking both Tamsulosin (initially) and subsequently together with Finesteride. I have found that this combination has made a remarkable and positive difference to normal life - however, I'm wanting to take a long distance holiday flight (11 hours), and I've heard tales of people with BHP experiencing some difficulty in urinating in a pressurised aircraft during long flights. Since commencing Tamsulosin (only) I did one short flight of 3-hours without much difficulty (before adding Finesteride), but obviously am anxious about long-haul flights.

Can anyone comment, please..?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

never had a problem due to cabin pressure. i always get an aisle seat and if on a long haul flight i self cath if i want to make sure i get sleep.

news flash most people couldn't care less what you do, if the see you carrying a catheter into toilet they don't care or even know what it is. most are glued to their screens anyway or sleeping.

foley catheter - sorry that's ridiculous and only needed if you were in full retension.

• Posted

Hello David - I have a few suggestions.

Can you break up your flight into two 6-hour flights?

Take along a bag of salted potato chips and eat it during the flight. The salt will help the kidneys to retain fluid and not dump pee into the bladder.

Wear compression socks and if possible recline.

Good luck

Howard

• Posted

I'm also 82, and take the same two meds. I self-catheterize at home to get rid of the residual urine in my bladder after normal urination. I also fly fairly frequently, and have had no problems with normal urination during my flights, which typically last 5-6 hours. I try to drink plenty of water, and get up every hour to avoid DVT.

You might ask you urologist about the possibility of doubling up on your Tamsulosin prior to your flight.

• Posted

I've had some interesting replies - thank you all..! Using a catheter is a "no-no" for me, as every time one has been introduced over the past 18 months, I seem to end up with a UTI..!! As I said, the present combination of Tamsulosin & Finasteride works really well, and with drinking plenty of approved fluids, I usually have to go to the toilet every 2 - 3 hours, sometimes longer - so I was really hoping for info (perhaps re-assurance..?) that a longer journey by air wouldn't have too much of a negative effect. So, I think it's back to my local medical centre, and see what advice and/or recommendation they have to give.....

• Posted

I've been anxious about this type of situation for many years now and I fly internationally quite a bit. The only way I've found to address BPH on flights is 1) get an aisle seat near the lavatory on the flight, 2) stop drinking liquids a few hours before boarding. 3) empty your bladder as much as possible before hand and 4) Drink nothing on the flight. Yes, this means being dehydrated on the flight which is not a good thing and has led to sinus headaches in the past but I just have to deal with that using other medications.

• Posted

Michael,

I've flown internationally many times, and while I was living with BPH. Not drinking and getting dehydrated is a bad idea for many reasons.If a person is handicapped so that walking to the restroom on the flight is a problem, I would recommend using an external (condom) catheter with a leg bag.

Glenn

• Posted

I take a bag of salted potato chips with me on long trips. I start eating them a few hours before the trip and during the trip. As long as you don't have to worry about high BP it is a simple and tasty way to manage your BPH during trips. The salt keeps more fluid in the kidneys so less empties into the bladder.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.