Aircast boot uncomfortable

Posted , 22 users are following.

Hi - I am now coming into 4th week of aircast boot after plaster cast for orif surgery.

I am finding the boot uncomfortable and digs in - find i am more comfortable out of the boot at home - but very cautious as only partial weight bearing!

As ankle is still swollen - i find the boot digs in and when I take off when sitting down am left with quite a lot of uncomfortable in-dents in various places that take a long while to go down.

Anyone experience this and any advice pls.

Thanks katy

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I ditched my boot after a week as I found it heavy and unwieldy and the Velcro fastenings very difficult to use.  Never looked back.  Wore supportive shoes and used walking frame and lots of rest and elevation for about 2 weeks until able to manage without walking aids.  You can always go back to it if you feel the need but I never did.  As your ankle mends the swelling will be less severe and less frequent.  it's nature's way of telling you when you have over done walking.  Best wishes for your recovery.
  • Posted

Thank you so much for posting I have researched over and over trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am six weeks since the injury was in a splint for one week due to swelling been and I fiberglass cast for five weeks it was removed Friday. After they x-rayed the surgeon came in mashed easy on both sides of my ankle and said that sore is in it and I said yes. I am now in the air cast will be in at 6 to 8 weeks. I have made some progress . I've still got a Long road ahead of me. I was literally in tears last night after having the Aircast on all day yesterday it was so swollen on both sides of the ankle and on the top of my foot when I lay down I had severe sharp pains shooting on the top of my foot . after having the cat Aircast on for 10 or 15 minutes it immediately if I am trying to walk even with crutches not a really applying wait to that foot the pain is unbearable it feels like it is just squeeze in the bone are rubbing it wrong . does anyone have any suggestions? by the way sorry I forgot to mention I bro the distal fibula bone really not sure what I was going to damage is done. I was hurting and my knee for the last two week notice last Wednesday I had a cyst behind the knee the surgeon said he thinks it is a Baker's cyst. any suggestions is that from my injury or why did this just start thank you so much

• Posted

I know this is an old post but I wanted to share my experience and what helped me. I broke my ankle on both sides and after two soft cast (cutting second one off due to caustrophia) the dr put me in the air boot so I can open it up for gen I need air. I too had swelling and the boot was rubbing and hurting on both sides. I was able to remove the black padding that is stuck with double sided tape just inside where the ankle rest. That gave me enough space to be comfortable and the ankle didn't rub. I also started wearing just the liner of the boot firmly wrapped around my foot At 6 weeks just to bed to secure my foot I case I bumped it. Hope this advice helps!

• Posted

My boot is so uncomfortable.my foot is red when I take it off .I got boot cast socks to guard it a bit but not really helping
  • Posted

I also experienced this problem.  I went back to the doctor and swapped the boot for a larger one and then added more padding around my ankle in the new boot.  This helped but didn't complete solve the problem.  I ended up not wearing the boot around the house and just wearing when I went out.  I am now at week 9 post ORIF and the recovery is going well.  I think keeping the boot off especially when sitting around the house has helped me with range of motion as well.  I was able to do more basic range of motion exercises early which improved the flexibility of the joint.

• Posted

Yes I seem to be experiencing the same problem, I had surgery on February 20 2018, I was wondering about the swelling as well,it is healing process for sure. I would love to welcome comments

Concerning similar problems.

Thanks again

• Posted

I just got out of the boot after... SEVEN months for acillies tear.. That hasn't healed by the way. Now I'm in PT and have a new issue! My tailbone has shifted so when I sit I'm bruising it!!! I'm in so much pain sitting or riding in a car!!! Anyone else?

• Posted

my injury was different but similar outcome

at beginning i have been treated with the plastic boot but my ankle never healed.

the proper plaster cast is much more effective.

i think that for some peaople and some injuries the boot isn't enough

• Posted

Keeping the conversation alive: I broke my tibia at the ankle 11/07/18, had surgery on Dec. 12th. My surgeon had to re-break the ankle. The reason: the broken bone shifted while in the airboot! Dang airboot! So, its been 3 1/2 months since injury and I'm back in the airboot: surgeon said that my bone had completely healed but my ankle hasn't. And yes the boot causes my ankle to bruise more no matter how much air i pump in although it bruises less with more air. I'm considering wrapping my ankle and wearing my new extra wide work boots with gelling inserts. ANYWAY, I figure its the amount of pressure the boot applies to the already soar, bruised, swollen ankle that causes the unnecessary pain. HOPE this helps with other peoples injuries!! TIME HEALS!! : )image

• Posted

**Oh wow....your foot looks horrible...I had my tibia and fibula broke at the distal end (ankle) and it didnt turn colors like that. Your look like poor circulation. It took my ankle a year and half after surgery for it to stop hurting. In the meantime I broke my right foot ankle last summer. It did not need surgery but I wore the dreadful air cast again. I wish you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Na, not poor circulation. I fell hitting asphalt hard from about 13 feet up. Anyway the fall combined with cheap shoes caused a tremendous amount of trauma to my left foot and smashed my heal on my right. The surgeon waited to do surgery dueimage to blood blisters that showed up later. I've attached a picture of just one side. The blisters were literally all up and down the left side, the back, and then on the right side as shown in the pic. THANKS!! I'm going back to work mid March.

• Posted

i have a fat bruise on me leg at the top of me boot from whenever i walk the back of the pump button thing digs in and i don't know how to stop it help me please

• Posted

i broke a bone in my ankle last Friday one week on now and the boot is still hurting my ankle a lot when i walk

i did this before 2 and a half years ago but at this stage it was not thos sore its a different bone but i feel the boot is faulty

had awful trouble with pain in my heel for a couple of night it seems too narrow by the heel

when i was in A and E the doctor or nurse had a lot of trouble finding a boot for me then suddenly found

one which makes me think its a faulty one

the air does not seem to work either

i wonder should i ask for a different boot?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.