Aircast hacks

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey all! I am in an aircast recovering from ORIF surgery on my ankle. I have started the weight bearing process and this damn thing rubs on my ankle no matter how I fill (or unfill) the air pockets. If hurts! Today I got desperate and shoved a soft beer koozie over my ankle in it and am quite surprised how well it works!! It helped so well that I wanted to share. Anyone else have some aircast, cast, splint or any other ankle related hacks to share on here? This forum has been a sanity saver!

Gina

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

Ladies leggings cut a big sick it will resolve this problems solved..

It works.. Lol

• Posted

Hey Gina, I'm happy that worked for you. I'm also in a aircraft boot and I had put a sock on with my boot and it feels so much better. is it hard weight bearing with the boot? I go the doctor on April 5th it will be 6th week for me with no weight bearing and I hope I could start putting weight on I'm so ready. my ankle is starting to hurt because I believe my incision is starting to get it scalp. it feels tight at times and it feels like someone is pulling on it. Good Luck to you and I'm so happy for you!

• Posted

I do have a sock (sometimes 2 on), but that wasn't enough for me alone. The boot has never been very comfortable to me.

Is weight bearing hard? Hmmm, that is a tough question to answer, because just being able to put any weight on it is progress, and that feels wonderful!

Psychologically, for me, weight bearing has been difficult. I waited a full week after the doctor said I could because I still wasn't convinced myself. I started off very lightly just a few minutes a day. After walking on it, I would elevate and ice. I have progressed more since then.

It isn't very painful for me overall, but my foot has been "waking up," nerves, twitches, pins and needles (again) and painless spasms. Actually, the spasms happen all day long, but I think that is a good thing. I have some numbness on my big toe even though I broke my ankle on the outside. Must be nerves.

I would say that I can do about 50%-60% weight bearing currently and am increasing my walking time, but I still spend the majority of my day with it elevated. I lost both of my jobs to the Coronavirus pandemic, so why rush my recovery. I have plenty of time to heal. And I intend to take advantage of it. I did realize today that I could probably safely ride my bike around my neighborhood with the boot on, but I want to ask my doctor first.

I go to the doc 2 days after you, so please share your progress if you like, and I am happy to share with you as well. As for my incision, mine isn't pulling yet, but if it starts, I will let you know. Thank you so much for your response! We are all in this together and I love how we all help each other! So excited for you to weight bear!! It is a milestone we all look forward to. Good luck and please let me know your progress!! Stay safe!!

Gina

• Posted

Hey Gina, I'm sorry you lost your job because of this stupid virus I hope you can go back when this madness is over. I will keep you updated on my appt. Enjoy riding your bike that's how I know you almost done recovering I'll talk to you soon be safe out there❤😘

• Edited

I borrowed a pair of my husbands tube socks and put that on under the boot Made the boot much more comfortable

• Edited

I have found doubling up of socks has helped my comfort level as well! Thank you for sharing!!

• Edited

I also had that problem but put extra foam pads on either side. Problem solved.

• Posted

I have read other people saying that, but couldn't find any at the home. But I did find that beer koozie and hoped it would work the same way. It did. But it was because other people had mentioned foam that I even consider the koozie. Thanks for sharing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.