Airplane travels with CRPS

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there.

I'm doing a 6 hour flight in a few weeks. Wondering if anyone has experience sitting in a confined area for a long time.

One of my triggers is sitting or bending my knees for more than an hour.

Any advice on medication that may help me sleep or relax me during the flight?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello. I recently travelled 8 hours by plane.  I drank lot water.  A lot. So this meant I was up and down to toilet which helped.  I used a large blanket to keep warm and I had a hot water bottle and the staff filled it up with water.  This helps dmy back.  I didn’t drink alcohol.  Likes of Xanax might help u relax a bit. I watched iPad with a few films.  When I got off plane I had Epsom salt bath I hotel and this helped me lots and I drank tons of water. !!! Hope you enjoy it. 
    • Posted

I didn’t need on way to holiday as I was happy out.  But way home did.  Just use my other tips will be worth it.  X 
  • Posted

Hi i would suggest getting up as much as you are allowed during the flight. As for medicine I would take Ativan as Xanax could knock the crap out of you if you are on pain meds. Everyone is different. But as u know when we sit still for awhile are pain level goes up. Try and get a end seat so u can at leat stretch one leg😊.

Have a good trip. Feel better. MaryPat

• Posted

I Know I have seen someone like Dr. Oz demonstrate exercises and stretches you can do in your airplane seat (that aren't too irritating to those around you) to prevent clots, muscle cramps, etc.  I am sure if you google something like airplane exercises for clot prevention you will get a nice little set of things to do in your seat that will keep you nice and mobile. I also agree with getting up as often as you can, not only for bathroom breaks, you can always go back and bug the stewards for something trivial, like and extra glass of water or some more peanuts.

• Posted

Thanks for the tips. The flight is a red eye, LA to Boston. I'm hoping with the right meds I'll sleep and not feel the pain. It's my right knee so bending it for more than an hour can be a major trigger.

• Posted

Hi,

I have CRPS in my right hand. This has been with me for two & a half years during which time I have taken many flights. Obviously everyones level of CRPS is different so advice from another sufferer may not be too wise or constructive. What I can say, is that for myself flying is an absolute dread. The vibration along with the breezes from the air conditioning almost feel as though they are eating into my hand. I do apply Lidocaine patches but their effectiveness isn’t that great. I am always relieved when the plane door is opened & I can escape. Life has to go on & travel is part of it. I really do hope that you can find something to help you through. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.