Airport anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 19 and I'll be travelling in 2 days and I have SO MUCH anxiety. It won't be the first time I travel (4th or 5th time) but the anxiety is still the same. I am not worried about flying, the airport is just a very stressful place to be. I start having irrational fears, I am extremely worried somethng bad will happen. Anything! My biggest fear is being in the no fly list (for some reason) or some accident! I'm afraid I might start to panic and they won't let me get in or my stuff gets lost or I don't make it to the plane even if I'm 3 hours early. I understand all my fears are fairly irrational but it still doesn't make them any less scary, I always have a feeling of impending doom.

I always try to push myself to get things done. My plan is to get myself as comfortable as possible (wear comfy clothes, cute socks [that makes me very happy] and I plan to bring my favorite plushie to hold).

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

With all that's been happening on the news it's probably ok to be concerned. 

Stay alert keep your eyes open and stay calm. Take deep breaths and listen to music to help relax. Don't talk to anyone other than what's necessary. 

Happy and safe travels. You don't mention where you going yet all the safety restrictions can be met with packing no carry on items and stay within the limits required. Stay in a crowd of people never by yourself. I wish I could travel yet with the things that we have to be concerned about today it is a lot of issues to deal with at once. 

Be safe and have a good time.

• Posted

its like a carbon copy of me.I love it once im on the plane but last time my anxiety was at a high we got to the airport and i was watching everyone, then we got to security three lanes went down then the whole security system in the airport crashed I was convinced we were going to be attacked I even said to  one of the officers and I think she was worried at the time. my heart was racing and i couldnt breathe once i was on the plane i was ok and then coming back i saw one young lady it was about 80 degrees and she had so many layers of clothes on i started having awful palpatations.i realise now it was my anxiety I try not look at the tv or read the news as a rule but im a lot calmer now ive been on my meds.Im flying again in three weeks then in oct the one in three weeks wont bother me its the one in oct that will. I thought my doctor was going to get me locked up but she was very understanding and said there was a lot of fear in the media not only do i have anxiety i am going through the menapause which exacerbates things. my goal in oct is to use aromatherapy oils and drink loads of chamomile tea before hand once im on the plane i will be fine yet up until ive had this last bout of anxiety I used to love the whole experience of being in the airport. have a wonderful holiday 
  • Posted

It is unnerving at the moment when planning a flight anywhere in the world.  You could arrange to take a sedative before the flight prescribed by a Dr and that might help you.
  • Posted

The airport is anxiety producing. It can be i overwhelming. If you have xanax its always nice to take one to keep things calm. If you dont have one a half of a benadry should take the edge off. I wouldnt take a whole one because you want to be awake for the flight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.