Airports with screws

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey guys!

Has anyone been through the airport (metal detector gates) after ORIF with the screws and everything inside their ankle? Did it set the gates off and did you need an extra search? If yes how many screws do/did you have in? 😃

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

I've flown 4 times since ORIF and haven't set the scanners off. I have 2 screws one side of my ankle and a plate and about another 6 screws on the other side. Always thought I'd just show my scars if it started bleeping!

• Edited

I've flown about 6 times with my plate and screws in. No issue. It doesn't set anything off and they don't even give me a second look.

• Posted

These responses sound like conflating magnetometers with body scanners. If a magnetometer doesn't pick your implants it's not working ( unless your implants are non-metallic) .

• Edited

I've been thru the TSA checkpoints many many times with multiple joint hardware and cancelous screws. Go thru the line with a body scanner.It's no worse than a high volume CT scan. The government cares not about your exposure to ionizing radiation.

A few DNA mutations are unlikely to hurt you much.

It's our life with replacement parts.

Sorry for the sarcasm but it's the only way to deal with it.

Cordially

M

• Posted

Maybe i should have lead with the fact i work at the airport, so I have no chance of going in a different line 😕 but thanks for the info 😃

• Edited

You'll be fine. i just flew from Denver to Orlando last month with a total knee replacement and a half-inch diameter screw in my heelbone. Everything was fine!

• Posted

Well the airport i work at does actually detect most joint relpacements, the Americans are always furious about it (not my fault). But this makes me more optimistic, thank you 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.