akins procedure after bunion surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello wondering if anyone has had this procedure after their bunion surgery and if so what were the reasons and how long after yoour bunion surgery. I am concerned about my feet any advice would be great.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had akin at same time as scarf bunion surgery.  The doctor said it straightens the big toe further, by taking a small wedge of bone from the side of the toe.  This part of the surgery has been the least of any discomfort and my toe is lovely and straight.  I'd have the other done with akin if they would allow.  There is a small drawback though, it could be possible the nerve endings just there become severed, but they can heal.
    • Posted

Okay thanks I had double scarf bunion surgery 3 months ago. I am worried as my big toe on the right foot is bending towards the other toes I have a very very tight feeling as if my foot is in a veru tight shoe this is even while I am barefoot. I went back the other day they said wait and see what happens. I am worried as it is making it hard to walk not sure what to do. It is worse than before my operation. My poor litte toe is very sore as all the others are pushing it. I really thought it would be straighter there is no spare between big toe and second
    • Posted

I am three months too.  I get days when my foot is tight, usually when I've been walking on it too long or if it's a hot day, as it gets swollen.  Sounds like the akin will do the job, they make a small incision above the bunion area and staple the bone back together, as with the screws, the staple remains in the foot.
    • Posted

Mine is like that all the time its winter here as I am in Tasmania Australia. Did u have akin during bunion surgery or after. I am so confussed to what to do
    • Posted

My surgeon did akin same time as scarf.  If you want a straight toe the Akin op is the way to do to.  I think a lot of surgeons are doing akin and scarf together, but you say the other foot is ok so maybe it doesn't always need doing.  Mine was really over compensated after surgery, but now it is settled down it sits closer to the second toe.  Good luck, let us know what you decide.
  • Posted

Good luck Pauline I think I would definetly go back if you are in pain and worried. I had Akins surgery and Bunion removal, my toe like Barbara's looked very seperated at first but has settled down to be beautifully straight and a modest gap between the big and second toe. Let us know how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.