Akylosing spondylitis: how long does it take for prednisone to kick in?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I was careless with my diet, after almost TWO years of living pain-free and have been suffering a sever episode of AS for three days.

I started taking Cortancyl (prednisone) 60 mg yesterday. I can't remember what happened last time when my doctor prescribed it, how long it took for the inflammation (pain, stiffness and burning sensation in the sacroiliac joints, spine, hips...) to go away. Does anyone have even a remote idea?

Here's what triggered this episode: CHICORY. I started drinking it almost every day (I know, stupid) about two weeks ago.

Apparently the inulin in it doesn't feed only the good bacteria, but the ones that can trigger the inflammation as well.

I started taking prednisone early this time. The last time the doctors didn't know what it was and it took them weeks to prescribe it. So I'm kind of hoping that it may work faster since the inflammation hasn't really worsened yet (I'm still cramp free!).

Thank you!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Mine is set off from a change in weather (as in) Barometric pressure

Achey and tired. It is much worse in the spring.

Predozone should help you out. Take it in the morning otherwise you will not be able to sleep in the evenings.

• Posted

Thank you!

Sorry to hear that yours is set of by changes in weather. I too become achy but NEVER do I have this burning sensation and stiffens. This is only brought on by eating starches and other foods that feed bad bacteria too.

• Posted

hi Masha,

60 mg is a high dosage. i have been on 40 mg for an allergic reaction before and it works the same day. I used them for flare ups too but at a much lower dosage 10 mg for a week and then tapering for two weeks. I almost couldn't get off it because i quit prednisone too soon. I was given free reign over a bunch of prednisone at that time. It sounds like you got to the flareup before you became too painful so that could be the difference.

Let us know how it goes. Take it in the morning.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply!

In case somebody with AS might be reading... I learned that for an AS episode only high dosage seems to work. 3 days 60 mg and then lowering the dose, tapering for a few weeks.

I'll keep you posted!

• Posted

Hi all, here's an update.

Prednisone kicked in about 4 days ago. My doctors said I should take 60 mg for 4 days, 40mg for days, 20 mg for for days and then stop.

I had a nose bleed on the third day.

And today, I had a "spontaneous" bruise on my left thigh - hip level - and my hip hurts.

Btw, the inflammation has been strolling up and down my body. In the last fed days my back seems to be better. However, my left hand is swollen (especially the middle finger) and my right elbow hurts.

I don't know if this is prednisone related, but I'm sure having some dental pain and sinusitis.

Thank you again for your support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.