Alcahol and svt

Posted , 7 users are following.

Does anyone else with svt get palpitations the day after drinking alcahol? I keep reading this is common in people with afib.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I could not drink alcohol for many years, one would start my palpitations and strong throbbing heartbeat, i soon learnt to avoid it completely. 
  • Posted

Hi Alastaire. Doctors tend to err on the side of caution and tell SVT folk to avoid alcohol, cigarettes etc. 

It seems triggers vary quite a lot from person to person.

Personally, my most certain SVT triggers were cafffeine (even decaff), sudden bending movements, and delayed response to mental or emotional stress.

I used to smoke and drink alcohol when I had SVT and found no evidence whatsoever that these were triggers IN MY CASE. Actually, I found my SVT was more frequent when I was off both for serveral months. So I did not avoid these on account of SVT. 

But alcohol could be a trigger for you. Might be worthwhile avoiding it for a little while to see if SVT becomes less frequent? If not, then you might not need to abstan....

• Posted

Happens all the time I don't bother drinking anymore I hate the day after but to be honest I get heart palpitations allot

• Posted

Not only the day after but during as well. After no alcohol consumption for 30 years, my wife and I began a to drink again. After a couple of years, my SVT episodes increased, they were harder to stop, and the duration was much longer. We totally quit and now I'm slowly returning back to normal and haven't had one episode since. Alcohol is extremely bad for the heart, unless, you can only drink a very small amount. And those with SVT will be more prone to the bad effect, especially as we age.

• Posted

Yep. You need to cut your alcohol consumption down to minimal amounts.  Its a known trigger for tachycardia or palpitations for those with heart rhythm issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.