alcholic - Health issues

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I'm losing my mind so i thought id try reach out.

A couple of months ago i had a health scare with pain in my testicles and the pain radiated upwards to severe abdominal cramping a few weeks ago, i went to the docs and all blood tests, urine tests came back fine, ultrasound on kidneys was fine (they only did kidneys and not liver as pain at that point was lower abdominal), i did a stool sample and tested positive for H. Plyori and have been taking bloody awful meds but just finished today.

Onto my alcohol consumption. Im a 40 year old male with no history of any helath problems before this, and as long as i can remember (10 + years) ive pretty much drunk a bottle of wine nearly every night with maybe a whisky thrown in, its gotten more in the past 6 months too which is why i know i have a problem. I'm fully functioning during the day but when im home the wine comes out as always.

Due to my mental state of worry, I've been back to the docs 4/5 times over the past few weeks, I also have a history of cancer in the family. I think to put my mind at rest he order having an abdomen ultrasound tomorrow and I'm afraid what they will find on my liver.

I havent drank in 2 weeks due to the meds and went cold turkey, probably shouldnt have and its been rough, the meds are not the most pleasant either. I dont currently feeling like drinking and was never a day drinker anyway. Ive had a range of issues, diarrhea, insomnia, twitches in body but most systems have passed

Im just so scared I've messed my liver up and realized before its too late, i find it so hard to chat to my family about this, ive said to them im drinking to much and they think ill be fine so i thought id reach out.

Thanks

Mike

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

First things first, Mike. You might be worrying about nothing.

Have you had a recent liver function test to determine how your liver is doing?My advise would be to begin right there. If there is no damage, then great. If it is under some strain, then you can do something about it and the liver is quite resilient, it will likely recover. If for some reason (though relatively unlikely) you have heavy liver damage then your medical team can help you,

Believe me, wasting time worrying about what MIGHT be, rather than what actually is, is just wasted time that you could be diverting to making a better life for yourself.

• Posted

Thanks you for the reply.

I'm not as hopeful as you, i don't have many symptoms but my abdominal pain is still there and it hurts on the right side to press in.

This whole thing started off back in Dec with a sore that wouldnt heal and the doc gave me fungal cream and it cleared it up. Of course i carried on drinking.

I got about 20 mins sleep last night as I cant function with this level of anxiety. IM scared to death.

• Posted

Book the appointment with your GP, Mike. Or there are a number of good clinics that offer home test kits for the liver if you don't want to go back to your GP yet. The least expensive I know of can be ordered from the Online Clinic's website at £29.95.

• Edited

I have an ultrasound in two hours, i thought id put that sorry. Scared senseless but at least ill know. I cant eat and very fatigued. Thanks you for replying

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.