Alcohol

Posted , 6 users are following.

With the recent worsening of my depression I have had an increase in alcohol consumption. I drink daily now, about a bottle of wine a day (when I'm not going out drinking). It seems like the only thing that makes me feel better when I'm not doing well. I feel sad, I reach for the bottle. I feel anxious, I do the same. It helps me relax. I know this isn't healthy and I want to stop but I feel myself, maybe not needing it, but wanting it badly to help ease over the rough patches. 

I wouldn't say it's a problem quite yet but I definitely see the potential for it to turn into one and, having witnessed the effects of alcoholism on members of my family, I don't want to ever go down that road.

Does anyone have any advice on alternatives I could use, or methods to decrease my alcohol usage?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi danny, alcohol can make u more depressed hun plus not good for your self asteem cant u limit your self to say just weekend? i understand how it takes things away for a short time but isnt the answer the answer is never at the bottom of a bottle!! see alcohol as the emimie..hope that helps
    • Posted

Hi Julie, I totally understand all of what you were saying and I wish it was as simple as that. It's fine when I'm out and about doing things (as is usually the same with depressive thoughts, etc.) but when I'm sitting in the house when I get in with nothing to do, my first instinct is to pour a glass of wine. and I try to combat that by doing things to keep my mind off it but eventually I always give in, and one glass turns into two, etc. 
    • Posted

i understand! have u tried reading or watching a movie or relaxation music that worked for me..relaxtion music can be more relaxing that a glass of wine..and after a few days off wine ull feel such a drifference in your self ..worth it :-)
  • Posted

Hi Danny have you seen a doctor about how your feeling because if you are taking medication you can't drink with it as it makes you feel so much worse, if your not on any medication then it might be an idea to see if that would make you feel a little better everyone says that trying to keep your mind busy works well running is a good therapy any type of fitness is better than drinking else you will find yourself drinking more and more believe me I have tried that many times and it's hard to stop once you start, it's so easy just to go and buy half an hours worth of relaxation but it never ends there and once you have gone beyond the point of no return it's so hard to come back

Take care

sue

• Posted

Hi Danny 

Booze is not the answer believe me I know. I used to do what your doing and soon ended up a full blown alcoholic, it takes a grip on you very soon I got to the Point were I had to have a drink as soon as I woke then drank All day until I collapsed. I had a very hard time stopping it took me 4 years to finally stop all together. I go to Alcoholics Anonymous and have not drank for 6 years now. It's bad enough having depression withought having a drink problem on top, so if I was you I would nip it in the bud before you get dependant on it because you have to realise that dependency is addiction 

• Posted

Hi Danny, 

If you're already thinking about the effect alcohol Is having on you then sorry to be so frank but you must stop completely or in a month, a year or 5 years you'll be a full blown alcoholic like myself, alcohol was my best friend yet my worst enemy and I'm just going to be blunt with you, STOP! Excuse me if you think I'm being rude here but if you're already having thoughts about it then you must quit, I was exactly like you and I nearly drank myself to death and I nearly lost everything, it's not worth the risk mate, quit while it's your desicision and not a doctors, I'm tee total 5 Years now and Life is great!, yes I take medication and probably will for the rest of my life but I'd rather take my medicine than end up the way I used to be, I went to a counceler and I was trying to justify my drinking to him, and he told me straight up that I was kidding myself on and it was all or nothing, he was right, stop the drinking mate, it will only lead you down the wrong path,

Kenny

• Posted

I pretty much agree with what everyone else has said, but I know how difficult it is to stop using something that is the only thing that makes you feel better at the moment. It's good that you have recognised that your alcohol use is problematic, since that is the first step to dealing with the problem. Your GP and the local Drug and Alcohol team should be able to help. In the mean time, try not to keep alcohol in the house, and if you have a partner living with you discuss it with them. It sometimes helps if the partner can monitor your drinking with you, to encourage you to cut down. Good Luck
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to take it one step at a time and just try to cut down. trying to go cold turkey as I've found out just makes me so much worse. I have an appointment with the doctor this week to talk about adjusting my meds, I really don't feel like they're working for me anymore and if I can make myself feel better it will have a knock on effect on the drinking I hope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.