alcohol

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have had an alcohol problem for years. I've had a good

year and a half being able to " keep  control"  Now I find myself way OUT of control.  Has anyone got any advice on how to deal with this ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susie

Well done for what you have acheived smile I wonder what changes have occured to make you feel you are out of control now ? Has anything upset you recently ? Has life become more stressful ? Also , what is being in control to you . A year and a half is brilliant smile

I too have periods where I feel able to have just one or two drinks in an evening . This may go on for a few months and I feel Ive acheived so much and generally feel more healthy, less tired , more positive etc . .....Then , yet again I start to drift back to a bottle a night as I have the last few days . I then say to myself , well ok , as long as I dont go into the second bottle I'm doing ok .Well !!!! This is ridiculous , Im not doing ok . Im simply following the same pattern as I have for many years .

Ive really had enough now of this monster (alcohol) controling my thought process everyday !!!! Cant remember the last night I didnt have a drink !

When you say you were in control , what do you mean . Drinking little or stopped for the year and a half

Perhaps , if you are like me its time for us to really stop for good

I'm considering going to the doctor for help but I dont want it on my record as I have a very professional job in the health industry

How about you ?

Take care x

• Posted

Hi Rainbow,  Thank you for your reply.  I found this really reflects my feelings.  I had been off "IT" totally for weeks , but when I got my benefit I would get a bottle of wine  ( in 2 weeks ) and only have 1 or 2 a night until it was done.  I felt good about my life because I had moved out of a very bad living situation and I can't go into it all.  Too long a story.

I got out of it and into a lovely wee house.  Then my neighbours got goods out ofmy catalogue and I now have a fight on my hands to get them to pay!  I am in the process of taking them to court and have been to a solicitor who has sent them letters, with the result that I am being goaded everytime I go out in my garden.  Not just with the neighour who got the goods but another.  this other neighbour knows exactly what the other bought but is on her side.

Sorry for going on but it just all came out

• Posted

I have been seeing my councellor for about 3-4 years and she is so good.  I have been able to go and tell her everything and she has left my decisions to me and doesn't judge.  With theresult that I felt good about being able to ask for d-tox.  I left a message for her and she gort back to me asap and I'm now waiting on a date to go in.

I just hope this time is good.  I do know it's going to be difficult but at the same time I can still remember how I felt when I was sober.

• Posted

sorry but cannot give advice since I managed 2 yrs 5 months no booze and no relapse. However, most people do relapse I think and I see here how common this is...perhaps not beeing too hard on yourself is the way to go forward...what was life like just before??
  • Posted

Hello again Susie

Sounds like you are in a playground surrounded by a few bullies

You obviously have a kind nature smile Its very sad when people let you down isnt it ! , just when youve tried to be freindly etc.

Please try your very best to rise above their behaviour . Whats important is to look after your wellbeing . Do you like cooking ? I find it helps me to go out and buy really healthy food and experiment with new things smile Dont let these people put you back . Have you got other support other than your counsellor ?

Wishing you lots of luck and best wishes

Stay strong and determined ! You can do it smile

I'm talkng to myself here also as I know the struggle !!

Soon I'm sure we can be like Robin (well done Robin smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.