Alcohol

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone

I have been diagnosed with CFS/ME and have read that people with the condition have problems tolerating alcohol.I drink every day 2 to 3 bottles of lager.Does anyone have any experience of this.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I find I can drink a certain amount of alcohol (say, a bottle of wine - though I don’t do that often!) without any adverse effect. More than that and the next day isn’t good. I think you want to try and calm the system down - so alcohol, caffeine etc. probably don’t help...but we need the relief sometimes.
    • Posted

Hi 

I have a couple of beers everyday but have noticed on occasions I have more I feel worse next day.Think I might give up As can’t put up feeling like this all the time.

• Posted

Sounds sensible if you can. As I said, I feel we need to focus on calming down our nervous system to get into a ‘healing state’ - which means minimising stress whether that comes from people, work, food/drink etc.. Good luck!
  • Posted

I tend to avoid alcohol as much as I can. Sometimes I can have quite a few drinks and not be knocked too much but other times I can have a few and be floored for weeks.

I'm trying to just do without it completely. It's a depressant, causes inflammation and affects the quality of sleep, which are all big things to avoid with CFS. Any time I feel like I'm missing out, I try to remind myself how much I miss out when I get really floored.

• Posted

I had to give up Alcohol altogether 15years ago.  Started having a really bed reaction to it after one glass(wine for example).

It was like I had drunk a full  bottle and I felt like I had been poisoned.

I had never been an excessive drinker and not everyday.

I gave it up and never missed it. Had same problem with Chocolate and Caffeine!!!! biggrin

Have cut them all out...life can get a bit boring sometimes thoughrolleyes

• Posted

I used to like a drink on a regular basis but since the ME/CFS started some twenty years ago, I've found that alcohol just makes everything worse, so I eventually virtually gave up completely, other than Christmas and Birthdays when I may have a glass or two of wine and then inevitably suffer afterwards for a couple of days...

I just think when you have CFS you just have to maximise the quality of your lifestyle and health as much as possible and if that means giving up drink, and anything else that aggravates it, I do..

• Posted

Can’t say I drink on the daily, but I’m still very new to the diagnosis myself.. I find I have more memory loss having had alcohol to drink but so far (and touch wood) I’m not too bad with symptoms the following day as long as I’m able to clear it and be bedridden for that day. This is after an average night out for me, and not just the odd drink here or there smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.