Alcohol

Posted , 11 users are following.

It is my habit to drink a few glasses of wine in the evening with my meal.

I have had Bronchiectasis since before Christmas.

If I drink wine now I feel quite unwell afterwards, tight chest , tired and more coughing than usual.

Has anyone experienced this?

No one told me not to drink after diagnosis.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

If I drink red wine I get papilations.   My heart skips.     White I’m fine.  
    • Posted

Thanks for that.   Interesting  because I am getting that as well and I usually have a couple of roses and one or two red.

Anyone else want to join in with this?

• Posted

I was diagnosed with Bronchiectasis Jan '17 after coughing for about 18 months with multiple diagnosis of cause.  What I have found, and everyone is different, is I am learning what makes me cough more.  I have learned that dairy products, milk, creamers, ice cream, yogurt, etc. cause copious amounts of  phlegm, which causes uncontrollable cough. Also grapes, which I love, cause me to cough more.  Since I now know what triggers my cough, I am learning to avoid those products.  I have learned that hot tea with a tsp. raw, unfiltered honey and lemon helps me best.  So far honey is my go to form of relief...One teaspoon in the mid morning and one in the evening soothes my throat.  I haven't had an issue with beer but don't have a palate for wine...Just wonder, since grapes makes me cough, could the acid from wine grapes would make me cough...hmmm.

• Posted

Double whammy with grapes and grape products: acids & tannins. Red wines have tannins, which are even worse for many of us GERD folk than just acid. Once I altered my diet & lifestyle, I was able to add back a 4 oz glass of red so long as it's at least 4 hours before bed. A friend drinks never less than half a bottle and her doc calls that "silent" reflux, lol. Nothing silent about it, drinking red up til she brushes her teeth & lies down on her side to sleep.

• Posted

Following this forum as not yet diagnosed for certain;. See consultant on 14th Feb, but lots of posts mention acid reflux. And I do know that red wine can aggravate that. Just a thought. 
    • Posted

Interesting again!

I was diagnosed with gastritis about 10  years ago and have to take 1 Omeprazole in the morning and 1 at night.

Never had reflux though I don’t think.

So when I talk about my drinking habits I am taking Omeprazole too.

• Posted

All alcohol is bad for reflux, especially if drunk at night (assuming night sleep pattern). Red wine and hard liquors are the worst.
    • Posted

To each their own on consuming substances known to provoke reflux. But I haven't had any problems continuing to consume alcohol since my diagnosis. I never consume more than 8 oz & rarely more than 4 oz of wine or beer, tho.

My PFTs are good right now. My ex, tho, had to quit drinking even so much as 1 beer or 1 (4oz) glass of wine about 4 years ago. Much worse lungs & his system could no longer handle the far diminished lung power-alcohol combo.

If you are on ABs and/or tablet steroids, that might be part of it, too.

• Posted

A few years ago, I had the same issues. My sinuses and lungs would get congested. I heard or read somewhere that certain wines contain a preservative that causes an allergic reaction. 
  • Posted

Have cut my alcohol consumption in half since bronchX diagnosis 3 years ago.

Was never a serial abuser but would probably butt up against recommended limits and then put the odd session on top of that once a month. Now I hate myself and my body hates me when I drink more than a litre of beer - not surprising since alcohol is a poison and it also reportedly reduces the effectiveness of (very important to me prophylactically) antibis.

Wine is so expensive bought retail here in Thailand relative to European prices that I cut that out pretty much several years ago, so can't comment on relative impacts of different alcohols. I drink it occasionally at restaurant dinners since Thai restaurants here don't add the penal profit margins onto bottles at table so the price of wine with food is actually cheaper in Thailand than in Europe.

Notice I say 'when' not 'if'. I'm not immune from getting carried away in certain social situations and I'll have a couple of small bottles in a local expat bar twice a week. Stupid me, I still organise my local branch of the Hash House Harriers - 'the drinking club with a running problem'. Luckily we only meet once a month!

Look on the bright side; many of the trade-offs that bronchX force you into are in your own best interests from a general health perspective in any event!

I confirm that a 'session' of beer also often gives me a short session of (what we all used to call) indigestion, usually the following afternoon for some reason.

• Posted

Thank you so much to you all who replied to my alcohol post....... some very helpful and informative comments.
  • Posted

Wines contain sulfites-sulphur dioxide-a preservative. The label on any bottle gives the warning in effect. Some people can have an allergic reaction. I do-whatever colour. It immediately causes the right tube to tighten and breathing difficult. Ventolin does not relieve it -it used to but no longer. So there is no alternative but to avoid it.  What a downer!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.