Alcohol

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can you go back to enjoying your wine or any alcohol on the weekends?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Alcohol can cause gastritis which can exacerbate  diverticulitis, so not too much, you need to find your correct maximum. Always have 2 or 3 days off a week anyway but that is advice for general and liver health not specific to DV.
  • Posted

I don't know the answer to this question. I have not had a drop of alcohol since my DD attack in late January 2018. I am presently symptom-free. I have been extremely careful to control my diet, eating the "right" foods and drinking tons of water, and absolutely no alcohol. I'm not willing to risk drinking or eating anything that could possibly trigger another attack.

• Posted

The only absolute on alcohol was that it was totally forbidden when on a particular antibiotic and for several days after. This was because of a reaction with the drug. The doctor said "If you have any alcohol with this drug you will feel as if you are dying!" I have never been advised that there is any prohibition for alcohol other than not to overdo it which causes gastritis which can cause a flare up. I was first diagnosed with Diverticulitis in 2005. I believe everybody is different and you have to find out which foods are best for you. I was however cautioned to treat fiber with extreme caution at the start.

• Posted

Have you had any light pain in you left side before hou knew you had diverticulitis.

• Posted

Have you had any light pain in you left side before hou knew you had diverticulitis.

• Posted

No pain and I had never even heard of diverticulitis befor I had a terrible problem trying to start a chain saw. I over strained my belly/gut area and started on a major initial session of diverticulitis. The pain was as bad as a knee operation I had many years ago.I was off work for 6 weeks. Since then there is almost constant low level pain and the occasional flare up which I treat with antibiotics. I have had 2 major bleeds which were very distressing for all concerned. first was completely unexpected and actually followed a period being off alcohol for 3 months which the colorectal surgeon said was pure coincidence. The second was when I became ill and did not start the antibiotic course when I should have because I had a hundred other things going on in my life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.