Alcohol

Posted , 5 users are following.

What’s everyone’s opinions on drinking alcohol with sertrline?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

To be honest, if you've just started Sertraline for the first time give it a few days to get into your system then maybe a drink but slowly, I was on Sertraline for a year 100mg and could drink, go out live a normal life, there are some people who say never mix with alcohol, that's up to you, I've just started taking Sertraline again after being off it for a year, I'm on day three, and I had a glass of wine with dinner last night, no problems, just take it easy in the beginning, on my Sertraline box where the pharmacist puts the notes, it only says avoid grapefruit, and doesn't say avoid alcohol !!  

• Posted

I have been on sertraline a long time but 3 months ago I relapsed and my GP slowly upped it to 150mg. The last week Ive felt the anxiety coming back especially the next I day after having a drink 😂

• Posted

Hi there. Just my 2 cents worth. I used to drink heavily, probably due to my depression/anxiety and plus, i really like beer! lol.  but obviously that just added to my depression/anxiety, vicious circle kinda thing.

But anyway,when i started sertaline, only 8 weeks ago, i stopped drinking, after a week or so i fancied a drink so got a couple of bottles of wine, so while just at home, i had a nice night in, watching moves etc, drank the bottles of wine,Grand! was a bit drunk alright and did notice a bit more spaced out because of the sertaline, but i was ok. and did sleep like a baby, lol But next 3 days after, oh no no no! my anxiety just hit the roof, it was horrible.

So i would recommend, maybe a couple of drinks, couple of beers or couple of glasses of wine, but don't over do it. It is safe enough to drink with, but can cause the effects of alcohol to be exaggerated, so be very aware of that, and because alcohol, effects dopamine, and serotonin receptors it kinda conflicts with the sertaline and it doesn't work how it should. it is safe enough tho. but if you get very drunk, be prepared for a few days of anxiety afterwords.

heres a link that explains it a bit better. Hop it helps. ( https://www.healthline.com/health/depression/zoloft-alcohol)

By the way i haven't had a drink for 7 weeks now, and feel good for it!  which is amazing for me, some how the seratline is helping me with that as well. just lost interest in it, weird huh!

Anyhow, all the best and wish you well.

• Posted

Thanks for the link Gordon it was a very interesting read. I have been on sertraline for many years 50mg but the last 3 months I have gradually gone up to 150mg. Since I have been on 150mg that’s when I have noticed the increased anxiety the next day after having alcohol, it all kind of makes sense to me now, all the good work I’ve been doing  over the last few months is being undone by the alcohol . Many thanks 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.