Alcohol

Posted , 7 users are following.

My name is Clint and I'm an alcoholic. When I was growing up I can remember my weekends being spent in a pub, right up till my 18th Birthday (which I spent in the pub). From being the legal age to drink, I found myself in the pub most nights and out every weekend.

I am now 30, done a detox and been on all kinds for medication but I just can't control it.

I managed to go 4 days last week without alcohol (very hard) but gave into the cravings.

I have attended two AA meetings last week and I felt so welcome, but because I hit the drink again I stopped going.

I would Love to go back to AA meetings but only when I can control my drinking habits.

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated..... I need to save my family!!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

keep going back to AA , they all understand relapse. relapse is part of the process. find a sponsor. support from family and friends. finding the tools to help you with cravings is important .

my son died from alcohol Addiction. years of alcohol takes a toll on health and mental,health. it takes so much from your life every day. AA is a good way to find helpful info , education and stay with the program will take time to change the brain from craving. support is helpful and changing lifestyle.

sending healing blessings your way for strength and focus on sobriety.

• Edited

Hi Clint,

The first step of AA is all about admitting you are powerless over alcohol, and abstinence, so do bear that in mind being wanting to go to AA when you can control your drinking habits is not what they would suggest you do. After all, if you could control your drinking, you wouldn't likely need AA? If you want to use AA then it is best to stop fighting the alcohol, and turn your will and your life over to a Higher Power, and let the HP remove the obsessions for drinking by doing the 12 steps of AA. Members of AA will tell you this is the only way, and that you can never drink again one day at a time. AA is over 80 years old now, and science has moved on. It isn't the only option anymore, so be sure to look into other options before making a decision on which recovery method you think is best suited to you.

So, please also look into The Sinclair Method as an option. This is a way to use an approved, safe and non-addictive medication prior to drinking to help extinguish those urges you have to drink. After a few months of taking the tablet prior to drinking, and having the circuit in your brain that associates that alcohol equals chemical reward cut and no longer being reinforced, you will find it much easier to make a decision regarding alcohol and stick to it - whether that be abstinence or occasional social drinking.

To learn more about The Sinclair Method, google Sinclair Method UK or if you are in the USA, C Three Foundation. Lots of information there for you to read. The medication used is approved on the NHS in the UK and by the FDA in America and also all over the world. It's a treatment that is little talked about because most rehabs tout abstinence as the only way - and then if you cannot stay abstinent it is all your fault because you weren't trying hard enough. Times have moved on, science has moved on, and there are other options for recovery that are available and are clinically proven to have high success rates.

• Edited

Hello Clint and welcome. excellent advice given already and try follow the advice. i stopped nearly 8 years ago since i had been drinking heavily for longer than you. i wanted to save my family like you since i was drinking myself into an early grave. i was unemployed but a House dad in 2012 and was looking after our two year old twin girls. i simply stopped 31st December and have not had a drink since the. my life has improved so much and my health is very good. i wish you all the best on your journey. best regards robin

• Edited

Hi Clint

my name is Veronica and I have drank since age of 15. I'm now 50ish lol and my liver is not happy... I have to say if AA is good for you definitely go and as much as u can.. where I live u could go twice a day but due to pandemic it's all online... every time u decide to stop is a little or alot towards sobriety so stick with it.. My family and friends r a godsend through this but it is hard!!. take care and drop me a line as to how u r managing.

veronica

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.