Alcohol addiction

Posted , 8 users are following.

I’m on day 4 of an at home prescribed detox with Chlordiazepoxide. I’m down to 40mg the whole day and cravings are kicking in. I was doing fine until I had an argument with my work regarding returning to work early. Now I’m stressed and shaking and want to calm down. The only way I feel I can is to have a small drink. Is it possible to have a really small drink to take my nerves away? Any help grateful. 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

First off, have you heard of Naltrexone?  If you can, you might consider going to the doc, literally right now, and getting it if you are going to drink!  I've been in your spot more times than I care to remember and I only just discovered it.  I can't tell you having a drink is ok, but you know how it is.  My last detox was at home with Ativan and I did manage to find a few shots that calmed me for a few hours, had I been able to, I absolutely would have tried to get more!  Just think about that before you go off.  When it wears off you will feel just as bad so it's really only prolonging it.  Do you have anyone with you.  Let them know how your feeling and have someone watching your back to help you through it whatever you do. Also done a lot of withdrawing with benzos.  Can't say taking an extra pill will help either, but from my own experience it's better than drinking again. Maybe call the doc and ask about that.  Delay, distract then decide!  Take a walk, do anything to take your mind off it for even a few minutes then think about it again and make a choice.  Keep posting so we can help you out and know your ok.

I hope this isn't a bad post and people get angry.  Just an alcoholic saying what I've been through and what I'm thinking.  

• Posted

Thank you. Just having a small wobble and came across this site. It’s really helpful. Distracting myself is the best thing at the moment. Yes I have a supportive partner. Thank you. I’m nearly finished my course and having to go back to work on Tuesday and I think the anxiety is kicking in. Will go for more help as soon as I can. Thank you. 
    • Posted

Thank you. Just having a small wobble and came across this site. It’s really helpful. Distracting myself is the best thing at the moment. Yes I have a supportive partner. Thank you. I’m nearly finished my course and having to go back to work on Tuesday and I think the anxiety is kicking in. Will go for more help as soon as I can. Thank you. 
  • Posted

The question you should ask yourself is "do I have enough will power to just have the 'one' small drink?"

I know I wouldn't rolleyes

• Posted

Thank you. I think I would but I won’t. Just having a wobble. Just distracting myself just now. Thank you 
  • Posted

If you are an alcoholic you know as well as I do that "one drink" is pretty tough. Hang in there!

• Posted

Hi Laura

Your employer cannot bully you into returning to work early but make sure you have a Dr certificate to cover your absence. Don't let them interfere with your recovery, I feel if you were to drink now because of this it would really set you back. If they won't be supportive then maybe look for another job. I imagine your feeling very vulnerable at the moment but please hang tough.

All the best kelly

• Posted

Absolutely right.  Your employer is likely bound to FMLA.  My doc was able to fill out all the paperwork for me quickly and your employer can not force you to do anything against your Dr.s orders.  If it's a big company, talk to HR and don't bother with your boss.

• Posted

I know not forcing me just almost huffing at me and yes I have a doctors line. The pressure is what’s not helping. Just a wobble is all. Like I’ve said above just distracting myself just now and gna keep riding the storm. Hopefully soon it’ll pass. Thank you 
  • Posted

Thank you all for your replies. It helped and I’ve calmed down and just distracting myself and hopefully in the next week things will settle down. I’ve only (I saw only) been drinking for about a year and a half almost non stop so I did go for help but like I’ve said had a wobble and found this forum. Thank you all x 💪🏼 

• Posted

Laura it sounds like you are doing really well, and are very aware of what’s going on for you. Stay strong and keep talking/posting. X
    • Posted

I am doing better than I thought. I have had 2 beers in 8days and it was at night with my partner and our dinner. I am not on any medication now and it’s only stress that brings on any cravings.  This I will keep at bay by distraction as soon as I get them. Thank you all for your help x 
  • Posted

Im mainly posting this because it's a journey I'm about to set out on, and if it works it will be a miracle!  But if you think you have issues with alcohol addition, check out "The Sinclair Method".  If you're at all interested I can send you "The Book" everyone talks about that covers all the science about it.  Also a really good documentary on Amazon Prime or YouTube called "One Little Pill".  85% success rate at CURING alcoholism. Compared to something like 15% with AA, which only helps with staying sober and not curing, which I had thought was the most successful mainstream method.

• Posted

A A 15% success? That is poor! 85% is brilliant, obviously. Excellent reply and also very helpful. Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.