Alcohol affect on diverticulitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi just wondering if alcohol beverages could make it worse ?

and red meat is it bad or good after been diagnosed with the DD

THANKS

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Hi , I dont think it makes it worse long term, the odd bottle of wine or pint , I cant see doing anything .

• Posted

As a chronic acute diverticulitis patient I really wouldn't recommend drinking alcohol at this time. A lot depends on how progressed the disease is, plus with the medication they give you I would ask your doctor first. Red meat unfortunately is not a good food choice as it is hard for your body to digest. Everyone's tolerance is different so now you're going to have to "test drive " different foods to see what you can or cannot eat and keep a record of foods you can eat. You're also going to have to eat in moderation, my rule of thumb was to eat no more than the size of your fist. The reason why is diverticulitis makes it difficult for your body to digest any foods. Chew the food good. I also kept in mind what goes in has to come out, so the nicer you are to your colon, the less chance of flare ups.

• Posted

Remember also, proper..not over hydration, but proper and probiotics are big in repopulating or maintaining good gut flora. Naturally fermented foods such as sauerkraut are great also.

• Posted

Right now, even almost a year after open cut sigmoid colon surgery I can't eat gassy vegetables. I love broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, but still have difficulty processing it digestively. I've been able to eat a more variety of foods but still have to monitor it. To maintain a healthy diet I've found a power packed liquid multivitamin and take a probiotic every morning along with drinking a small bottle of Gatorade (electrolytes).

• Posted

Speaking for my personal experience, alcohol absolutely made my DD flare up. I never was a heavy drinker, but enjoyed a glass of wine or beer now and then. Now, I drink absolutely zero. Insofar as red meat, I've heard that it's harder to digest, thus, bad for those of us with DD. I don't eat it anymore.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.