alcohol affecting your job?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi has anyone else had an issue were drinking booze has had a major negative impact on their job? I havent been drinking recently but last time I did I made a jack ass of myself at a work event (cant even remember half if it) and what I remember is pretty damn bad. Was acting extremely inappropriately, and then ended up seriously injuring myself and going to hospital. No one has directly confronted me but I fear the moment I get pulled Into an hr meeting is the minute its too late. I had been doing well at this place and now im afraid I will loose my job. As I said no ones directly said anything but ive noticed people acting abit off with me. I dont know whether to apologise or try and continue on and see what happens not saying anything as in I dont want to make a bigger deal of it? I cant believe I got so out of control at a work event Would be happy never drinking again. & really scared about loosing my job . Help?

L

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Not been a position like that but I think I would have to apologise. Then at least u know where u stand. If u don't and ignore it it mite look bad for you like you don't care. Hope everything goes o.k. keep us informed on how u get on. C...
  • Posted

Hi Star, thanks for posting. Was starting to look back on my heavy drinking days with rose tinted specs so you've reminded me what a devil it can be! Hard to advise not knowing how long ago was it and what you did. Was it an after work event or considered work time. Whatever, memories fade in time and it will be old news before you know it. I think you would have had that conversation with HE if anything was going to happen so I wouldn't worry. I used to drive to work do's so I didn't drink but I did have all the other alcoholic behaviours - turning up late, days off sick and so on. Best wishes and post how things go
    • Posted

Thanks daisy jo for your comment as per my reply to Richard it is difficult to apologise and feel it may seem quite odd as it has now been several weeks. I honestly do not think I will be drinking at a work do again. It was after work but a work do none the less so I dont even know what it was considered. I also would like to learn to drive and it could be a real help with not drinking on social outings!
  • Posted

i know there is nothing as bad,im da same i cant remember what i said or did and that actually happened my brother he was mouthing off at the team leader at work do and got sacked on the monday.some one ratted him out.well he got called to a meeting then just walked out he told everyone what he thought of them.you should be alright id apoligise to whoever you think you need to.
    • Posted

Difficult to apologise as I dont see the people much I was there with on the work event we have several different work locations and they were from a different one. I think I might be making It look even more pathetic apologising to my superior abour my actions when they werent even there! Im hoping against hope that I will not hear anything more I think this late in the day an apology would seem odd?
  • Posted

For what its worth I agree. Given that time has passed now and if your bosses weren't there they might not know about it. Just move on

• Posted

Hi there

I can say that I lost my job due to alcohol and it was my dream job!!!!

Funnily enough I worked in the NHS and unfortunately they didn't help me with the problem even though I was being treated for depression and anxiety!!

It seems to me that you don't have a drinking problem just that one occassion!! I'm sure if you knew the ins and outs of all your work colleagues they would all have embarrassing moments in their lives that they would rather forget!!!

Your employer should have Occupational Health Therapists and it I think I'm right in saying that they have a duty to support you.

Don't give yourself  hard time about a one off event just thank your lucky stars that you're not an habitual drinker. You aren't drinking in work or turning up drunk it should not affect your employment.

Take care Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.