Alcohol and anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I'm new to this website.

I've been 3 times in ER this year because of panic attacks. I've had 2 EKG , 2 X-ray and a head CT scan, 2 blood samples tests and everything is allright.

I've noticed that I can't drink because I start having anxiety and panic attacks. Not even a glass of wine because my heart starts beating fast but I've had 2 EKG and everything is fine so anxiety is the only answer. Anyone has experienced the same thing? I'm not a drinker, I drink only in special ocassions. The last time was on mother's day I drank a margarita but 3 hours later I started feeling bad (heart palpitations, trouble breathing, anxious). Any suggestions? I won't been able to drink again?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Alchohol is a stimulant and depressant so it can cause anxiety in the short term .. But it's usually long term. I aswell do get bad anxiety when I drink.. It's worse under weed or anything that's why I stopped all of that years ago.
  • Posted

Yeah alcohol and smoking is the first thing they tell you to stop or moderate when you get anxiety. Whenever I drank any type of alcohol my heart starts beating and my head starts racing and my chest tightens up and sort of hurts? It's all in your head. If you have had all these tests done and they found nothing I think you should be fine. Some people have different triggers that start their anxiety. I found a focus group that meets up every now and then and we just talk it out. It helps a lot. I would recommend you find one or a psychologist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.