Alcohol and anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all just after some advice and reassurance that I am not the only that has done this. I have terrible anxiety and used alcohol to cope (having a few glasses of wine a night, even finishing the bottle some nights) I have after realising alcohol can make anxiety worse I have given up. Only since friday but its a start. My anxiety is through the roof, i have no appetite, sweating buckets, trouble sleeping and I have had the poops (tmi sorry) Is this all caused by not drinking anymore or is it? Im not tempted to drink as now I know this can make anxiety worse its the last thing I want. How long will it last? How did you get through it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

alcohol is one of the worst things for anxiety. You may temporarily feel better but in the long run it’s going to make things a lot worse. If you become dependent on it then you’ll have a whole other issue to deal with, added to the anxiety.

nobody can really say how long anxiety will last. It depends on the individual person, what issues they have going on, their genetic make up, etc. have you talked to your doctor about this? It’s good to get a physical check up as a baseline first. Think about speaking with a counselor who can help you manage this. in the meantime, take care of your health by eating good foods, staying hydrated with water, relaxing your mind,. there are a lot of relaxation meditations on YouTube for anxiety. I hope you get the support you need. Take care

• Edited

As a recovered alcoholic who used to drink to cope with anxiety I understand exactly what you are saying.

When you give up alcohol there are some physical withdrawal symptoms (which don't last too long) and then the mental ones , the emotional dependance and this is a bit more difficult, because the mind tricks you into having even more anxiety and more physical symptoms so that you drink again.

It is important that you have someone to talk to, an exercise routine and just generally to keep your life with as much routine as possible, as that allows to quieten the mind. And as Jan also mentioned healthy food and plenty of hydration.

• Edited

im feeling the same. it comes to either have a drink or take ativan. i really dont like taking pills. so guess what? a drink or 2 it is. i feel like garbage the next day. i am really struggling with this. i havent mentioned it to the psychiatrist yet and know when i do it will help me stop ( i hope). just to note, my symptoms next day are light headed, nauseated, weakness all over, jittery and tinnitus is constant. i dont take anti depressants and hope i dont have to.

• Posted

exactly how i felt the next day. i have cut alcohol out though as although it chilled me out of an evening when i was super anxious i would even more anxious the next day. i just cant handle my anxiety atm and ive no idea why so im trying anything i can to keep my anxiety to a minimum.

• Edited

yes. My husband and I took note of how I was feeling the next day after drinking and then when I didn't, the night before. There's not much difference in the way I am feeling but I think I have to extend the no alcohol to find out how I am feeling. Right now I join my husband with a cocktail at the end of the day which could lead to wine with dinner. On another note about alcohol, it seems to be in my face everywhere (alcohol). Whenever together with friends or family its the first thing we do.... have a drink. Its hard to get away from but I know deep down I have to do it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.