Alcohol and citalopram 10mg

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone 

I’m on day 11 of taking citalopram and I haven’t had an alcoholic beverage in over a month since this horrible anxiety illness hit me. 

I know it says that drinking in moderation whilst taking this medication is fine, but I wanted to know what everyone else’s experience was. I have a work Christmas do in 3 weeks and was thinking of having a little drink to celebrate. But I’m a little apprehensive 😩 

What’s your thoughts? 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

My understanding is no alcohol at all while taking this med. I didn't when I was on it. I don't think a small glass of wine wold hurt but I wouldn't make it a habit. Just my opinion.

• Posted

So I have continued drinking in moderation and all seems ok. There is no evidence to suggest that the 2 conflict however drinking large amounts increase anxiety anyway. Especially the morning after !! 1 drink wont hurt. Bear in mind that the timescale you have been taking the meds for is about right for the side effects you are experiencing.  It should ease up soon. Good luck  Mark x
    • Posted

In all seriousness i always enjoyed a drink before I was diagnosed with anxiety. But I’m truth my mental health is more important. I can still enjoy myself without alcohol. I may just have a glass of wine with my meal and that’s it. I have young children and I don’t fancy feeling extremely anxious and poorly the day after. For me it’s just not worth it. 

I think I’ve made up my mind. 

I’m going to tackle this horrible illness and overcome it with the clearest of minds. 

Don’t get me wrong the odd glass here and there is fine but I don’t think I will go out and drink to many. 

Thank you both for your response. 

• Posted

Hi. I started on Citalopram 10mg 18 months ago and now I’m on 40mg. I can honestly say from my experience that every time I have had alcohol whilst being on this medication, I have had adverse effects like anxiety attacks and meltdowns. It’s alright in moderation, like one glass of wine, but I wouldn’t recommend drinking a lot. 
  • Posted

always effects me. even a pint will effect me for about 2 weeks later. i drank on and off for so long ive even noticed a pattern that if i drink on a friday night i get hangover in afternoon following day and feel generally s**t, not great sunday and i am snappy/down all week and this peaks around wednesday. seen this before Citalopram. It takes 2 to 3 weeks for cit to start working as well as it was before alcohol. Yep even from a pint or two! worse if i binge
    • Posted

also if you do, take your time as you will get recked quick. Def cheaper for a night out lol
    • Posted

Ok since I posted this I have had 1 white wine spritzer ( so basically half wine half lemonade ) felt fine the next day. Maybe a little anxious but ok. And I have also had 1 bottle of corona with a meal recently and all ok. I don’t think I will push it past that though. It’s not worth the hangover anyway, plus with added anxiety. I’d rather not chance it. 

What dose are you on if you don’t mind me asking? 

• Posted

My sister has been on antidepressants for 15 years or so and drinks every single night. Atleast a bottle. She definitely has a problem and I think that it could be contributing to the problem and why she hasn’t been able to come off of the medication. 

I want to get better and come off as soon as I can, so will be doing all I can to get past this next few months without alcohol in my life as much. 

My therapist said that I should just carry on as usual and if I want to have a few glasses of wine then to just go ahead. 

• Posted

I have been on 20mg for 3 years or so, I went down to 10mg in March. The weather was improving and I seemed to be doing ok (to be honest though i think it takes around 6 weeks to evaluate a drop in dosage, so have learnt to evaluate things over a while and not quickly). I was out with a friend, who still cant get it why i am not out all the time anymore and dont drink much if any, so I had a pint.

Then I though that was ok so few weeks later I had more and thought all fine. I started getting moody and down, went back up to 20mg in the end. 

So been told some stuff about blood tests and the need to get me off Cit now, so i have been trying to drop to 10mg for last 3 weeks (bad dreams etc.. some horrible days) but _seems_ to be settling down. Friend of mine want to go out for beers as near xmas, hard to evaluate what is going on when I get booze involved. I also like a drink and social and its crap when I go out on the cokes :-)

• Posted

Just take your time evaluating, and dont go mad. 

I think I used alcohol as an antidepressant for years, sound stupid but hated my job in the end and was just looking forward to p*****g it up every weekend.

Is your sister alcoholic if you dont mind me asking. From what I have seen its not uncommon for people to drink a lot of wine at home. I think there can be genetic links with depression/alcohol too

• Posted

Well she probably wouldn’t say she was. But she does drink an awful lot of wine. Way more than is recommend. 
    • Posted

Yeh sounds like.

I dont think theres much point of meds if your drinking all the time.

If your drinking daily you never really proper sober up and are stayin of an alcohol high. I suppose I am not a doc :-)

It will mess your body up over time I would of thought. 

• Posted

Hi, i havent had a drink yet whilst being on these tablets, i think it says to 'avoid' alcohol on the packet but ive read stories of people having 1 drink and being really drunk. I also have my works do in a few weeks and would like a drink but im scared ill get really drunk off a few drinks and tell all my colleagues what i think of them lol might avoid it x

• Posted

i thinks its a recommendation not a warning if I remember. Everyone is different i think. 

> I also have my works do in a few weeks and would like a drink but im scared ill get really drunk off a few >drinks and tell all my colleagues what i think of them lol might avoid it x

lol.. ive done something like that before :-)  I normally have a few in December. Havent had a drink for a few months now and always end up writing in my calendar on the wall, saying stuff like not to drink again. mad

• Posted

Yeah i think so when i was on sertraline it said the same thing and i drank and it was fine. 

Hahaha dont we all 😂 We never learn from the hangovers though do we lol 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.