Alcohol and Diverticulitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi -

I have suffered from Diverticulitis for several years. I am a fit 50 year male - run bike workout regularly - good diet and weight.

However, I have gone through several stressful events the last several years and basically self medicated with Red Wine. The research I've done online shows no correlation between alcohol abuse and diverticulitis so I have continued my ways...

However, my understanding is that alcohol abuse can lead to abnormal stomach acid - abnormal stomach acid can lead to inflammation - inflammation can lead to diverticulitis.

I wanted to bounce this off the group and get the thoughts of others. I am hoping if I curtail the vino then hoping I will have less frequent of no other flare-ups.

Thanks! bwg

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I notice when I have more than one glass of any alcohol a day I am more likely to get a flare. I did ask my doctor about that and he said there was no established connection. But just to confirm your thinking, yes, there is a connection for me. Your suggestion of irritation of the stomach, leading to inflammation of the colon makes sense to me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.