Alcohol and Hearing

Posted , 6 users are following.

Can alcohol such as binge drinking or long-term consumption cause hearing problems such as hearing loss? Does anyone have any experience with this whether permanent or temporary?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I've never personally heard of, or experienced hearing loss as a result of long term alcohol use.

Although probably not helpful to you, my husband has selective hearing issues, particularly after the pub. If I were to ask him from another room if he'd like a bacon sarnie, he'd hear straight away!

If, on the other hand, even whilst in the same room,  If I mentioned holidays, eating out or shopping, in fact anything he doesn't like, especially going to a large Swedish furniture outlet shop, he'd not be able to hear me.

Im sorry this hasn't helped, but am sure someone more knowledgable will offer help.

• Posted

The answer is yes. It is not common, but it can happen. I'm not familiar with binge drinking causing it and that would only be temporary, but long term consumption has shown, in studies that it can cause hearing loss.

Normally, it doesn't damage the ears/hearing per se, but damages the auditory nerves. A sort of brain damage, where the ears are working fine, but the brain is unable to pick up the sound from them. It is possible for the ears (internals) to become damaged themselves, but this appears to be less common.

This loss can become permanent if the person is a long term heavy drinker.

The overarching name for the brain damage is alcoholic brain atrophy. Although this is generally reversible by abstinence or very moderate drinking, the studies tend to show that the hearing loss side of this is permanent. I would reiterate, that it is not common (hearing loss) and not something that I have encountered. it seems to be more prevalent in older people.

There is plenty of stuff to read on Google, just search 'alcohol hearing loss'.

• Posted

RHGB is much more technical than I am and amazed...You do not give any details about your drinking pattern and volume and how often?? Robin
    • Posted

I've been drinking a couple shots of vodka nightly for about 2 years but I've been cutting back recently.

• Posted

RHGB is certainnly better than most people in the medical prefession we hear about on this forum..it does make you wonder Vicky Lou!
    • Posted

per week how many?? Only 2 shots per vodka at night and nothing more? If so, that is actually not that much..Slightly over the allowed or suggested limit but not that much..wait to hear from you...Robin
    • Posted

I cut down on the frequency but increased the amount.. slowly cutting down from there now, usually 4-5 shots every other night now. Not sure if this is better or worse than before but it is progress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.